The Irish Brigade was one of the legendary Units of the Civil War. It was comprised of the 63rd, 69th, 88th New York Infantry regiments, the 28th Massachusetts and the 116th Pennsylvania. The numbers for the brigade had been thinned at Antietam and Fredericksburg. The three New York regiments could barely muster two companies each. But in any case they were a unit to be reckoned with when they were thrown in to support Sickles' Corps on July 2. From the monument: "The brigade entered the battle under Command of Colonel Patrick Kelly 520 strong, of which this contingent composing three battalions of two companies each, numbered 240 men. The original strength of these battalions was 3000 men. The brigade participated with great credit to itself and the race it represented, in every battle of the Army of the Potomac in which the Second Corps was engaged, from Fair Oaks, July 1, 1862, to Appomattox Court House, April 9, 1865." The Irish Brigade was the 2nd Corps-1st Division_2nd Brigade. It's New York Regiments were: 63rd New York Infantry commanded by Lt. Colonel Richard Bentley until he was wounded on July 2nd. Command was then by Captain Thomas Touhy. The 63rd brought 112 men to the field in two Companies (A and B). There were 5 killed, 10 wounded and 8 missing. 69th New York Infantry was commanded by Captain Richard Moroney until he was wounded on July 2. Lt. James Smith took command. The 69th brought 75 men to the field, companies (A and B) and lost 5 killed, 14 wounded and 6 missing. 88th New York Infantry was commanded by Captain Denis Francis Burke. It brought 126 men to the field in two Companies (A and B). It lost 7 killed, 17 wounded and 4 missing. Chaplain Father William Corby moments before the battle stood atop a boulder and gave general absolution to the men. They then launched themselves into the battle. The monument was dedicated on July 2, 1888. It was sculpted by a former Confederate soldier, William R. O"Donovan who had fought at Gettysburg. It's front consists of an ornate bronze front, ornamented by a 2nd corps trefoil, the numbers of the three New York regiments, the Seal of the State of New York, and a harp flanked by American flags. At its foot lies an Irish wolfhound, a symbol of honor and fidelity. Father William Corby attended the dedication, held mass for the veterans and blessed the monument..