The Irish 7th Missouri Volunteer infantry

1Martin

Private
Hello I am trying to find out as much information about the 7th Missouri Volunteer Infantry.
I'd like to know how I can find out more about the men who served in it. If their is a database of information. I have an ancestor I found that served in it with only one small page long record. I'd like to find out more and hear from others who know about the 7th.

Any good books on the subject?

Hello I am trying to find out as much information about the 7th Missouri Volunteer Infantry.
I'd like to know how I can find out more about the men who served in it. If their is a database of information. I have an ancestor I found that served in it with only one small page long record. I'd like to find out more and hear from others who know about the 7th.

Any good books on the subject?

okay here is more information. the regiment and company I am actually asking about in 7 Infantry D & B. So maybe this is not the 7th Missouri vol. Irish Infanty. The reason I am wondering is the record I am looking at has all Irish or Scottish names.
It states enlistment March 8 1858 in St. Louis by Capt. Underwood.
Discharge Date 8 Mar 1863, cause Exp. of Service.
Falmouth, VA: A private

okay here is more information. the regiment and company I am actually asking about in 7 Infantry D & B. So maybe this is not the 7th Missouri vol. Irish Infanty. The reason I am wondering is the record I am looking at has all Irish or Scottish names.
It states enlistment March 8 1858 in St. Louis by Capt. Underwood.
Discharge Date 8 Mar 1863, cause Exp. of Service.
Falmouth, VA: A private
No idea the 7th regt you refer too off hand, In 1858 any MO unit would have been MVM, the 1st and 2nd Regt MVM were from St Louis area and at Camp Jackson. MVM disbanded at start of the war, when the MSG was created, many St Louis Irish went into the MSG then the CSA in 1862

The 7th MVI US wasnt organised until june 1861

Last edited:
The 7th MVI US wasnt organised until june 1861

Yes I realize the civil war didn't begin until 1861. This is partially why I am confused about what regiment it was. The man I am researching was Canadian born but with Irish parents. Did the Irish join up with the military to become citizens before the civil war?

Yes I realize the civil war didn't begin until 1861. This is partially why I am confused about what regiment it was. The man I am researching was Canadian born but with Irish parents. Did the Irish join up with the military to become citizens before the civil war?
in the MVM, which mostly went to the MSG

I looked up
Missouri Volunteer Militia and there is not a lot of information on the internet about it. I can find no information on Captain Underwood. If I knew his first name I might be able to track him down.

I looked up
Missouri Volunteer Militia and there is not a lot of information on the internet about it. I can find no information on Captain Underwood. If I knew his first name I might be able to track him down.
There was a third Lt J.H. Underwood in the MSG with CO D the Bertrand/Jackson Guards which mainly did come from a MVM at Camp Jackson in STL

At Camp Jackson when in the MVM it was Co H 1st Regt, officers-Capt G.W. Fletcher, 1st LT J.M. Henning, 2nd LT William Morony, 3rd LT John Bullock

He possibly was MVM, then after Camp Jackson remained to join Union later. Though Bertrand isnt near STL.........

Last edited:
There was a third Lt J.H. Underwood in the MSG with CO D the Bertrand/Jackson Guards which mainly did come from a MVM at Camp Jackson in STL

At Camp Jackson when in the MVM it was Co H 1st Regt, officers-Capt G.W. Fletcher, 1st LT J.M. Henning, 2nd LT William Morony, 3rd LT John Bullock

He possibly was MVM, then after Camp Jackson remained to join Union later. Though Bertrand isnt near STL.........

I looked up Camp Jackson and didn't know that there was a clash there with the troops being used against the union.
So much to sort through. I find that in many areas at the start of the civil war people were often very confused about what side they were supporting.

Is there a data base where you can type in a soldiers name from the regular army and bring up files on him. I have tried Fold 7 but only find the 1 document. Maybe somewhere else on the internet.

I looked up Camp Jackson and didn't know that there was a clash there with the troops being used against the union.
So much to sort through. I find that in many areas at the start of the civil war people were often very confused about what side they were supporting.

Is there a data base where you can type in a soldiers name from the regular army and bring up files on him. I have tried Fold 7 but only find the 1 document. Maybe somewhere else on the internet.
Oh, I don't think those Missourians were confused at all. They had defended their State from newly arrived New Englanders residing in northeastern kansas, since the mid-1850s. During the spring of 1861 the State also faced threats from mobilization of a private German militia by political factions in St. Louis antagonistic to the duly elected State government. The men volunteering for the Missouri State Guard likely didn't understand the coordination between these anti-Missouri factions and the Federal government, but they for certain understood which side they were on.

They weren't being used against the union. Lyon alleged they possibly were going to be to justify his grab for personal glory. However when one looks at there were over 10,000 Union troops in the area, 600 guardsmen who everyone knew was about to disband and go home. it doesn't stand to reason they were any threat to a arsenal everyone knew was empty. The MSG officer roster comes from a book I have. the MVM officers is from http://www.civilwarstlouis.com/peckham/ch2-pt2.htm

Those who transferred from the MVM to MSG were used against the Union

Last edited:

Here's the NPS database of Civil War Soldiers and Sailors:

I'd recommend reading different sources about the Civil War history of that region. Even after so many years, you'll still find some blatant bias in people's opinions.

Here's the NPS database of Civil War Soldiers and Sailors:

I'd recommend reading different sources about the Civil War history of that region. Even after so many years, you'll still find some blatant bias in people's opinions.
Agreed as it's rather ridiculous to refer to the pre war MVM as secessionist, when war started some joined the MSG others the Home Guard, it was a cross section of Missouri which was mostly Unionist as reflected by the Missouri convention.

My GGGF was in the Marion LT Artillery in the MVM, some including my GGGF went to the MSG under Kneisleys Battery, others went into Dreschers Battery Home Guard when war broke out, it like most MVM was divided.

Last edited:
Okay, I am not looking to step on toes. Completely new to this portion of civil war history as I am not a Missourian myself. Thanks for the overview. I do plan on doing more research because I want to find out where Charles McCarty (no H in name) went after his duty. I tend to think he probably signed back up.

Here is the record I am trying to make sense of. It seems to be men from all different services, but they all have Irish and some Scottish names. My Charles is close to the bottom of the page.
https://www.fold3.com/image/310832426
I don't think there is enough information in there to easily track him, but maybe someone sees a good clue.
I am going to check out the databases that were shared thank you A Charles McCarty from Canada 21 yrs, I should be able to find.

Okay, I am not looking to step on toes. Completely new to this portion of civil war history as I am not a Missourian myself. Thanks for the overview. I do plan on doing more research because I want to find out where Charles McCarty (no H in name) went after his duty. I tend to think he probably signed back up.

Here is the record I am trying to make sense of. It seems to be men from all different services, but they all have Irish and some Scottish names. My Charles is close to the bottom of the page.
https://www.fold3.com/image/310832426
I don't think there is enough information in there to easily track him, but maybe someone sees a good clue.
I am going to check out the databases that were shared thank you A Charles McCarty from Canada 21 yrs, I should be able to find.
There was four McCarty who were officers in the MSG, no Charles tho

There was four McCarty who were officers in the MSG, no Charles tho
Yeah I am having the same problem turning up a direct match. It seems if there is one record there should be a larger record that is available. I though maybe I just didn't know where to look.

Back