" The Horse Knows The Way To Carry The Sleigh ", To Everywhere

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
sleigh race.JPG

Currier and Ives prints are responsible for nostalgic sighs this time of year. A plethora of prints, etchings, paintings and photos by other artists tells us our ancestors knew a good thing when they rode in it. Our nostalgic yearnings for this aspect of the ' good old days ' is not misplaced. This, by an unknown artist is of a race.

Currier and Ives imagery, carols and the occasional sleigh bells you can find on Ebay are the only nostalgic tinged evidence left from a way of life which seems to have vanished over night. We manage to dredge these ' good old days ' up annually, Christmas for some reason associated through cards and carols with life before fossil fuels replaced oats and hay. Everyone knows there's no snow after December 25th.

sled.jpg

A little prewar, this party of winter lovers could be a Currier and Ives image.

Rushing our seasons with summer catalogs issued Dec. 26th notwithstanding, this mode of transportation was awfully necessary until crocus poked heads through the March onion snow. Bells, not car horns let us know a someone was coming on snow packed roads ( and please get out of the way, those things could cut a leg off ).

One of around a gajillion entertaining looks at the topic , this from New Jersey, 1864.
sleigh news 1.JPG

sleigh 2 The_Monmouth_Inquirer_Thu__Jan_14__1864_.jpg

Hang on- there's more

Sleigh rides were transportation before snow tires, chains and ashes became part of our winter. Sleighs 10 passengers deep dropped folks off at work in New York City, the best bus ever, sleighs carried goods to stores, families to church and doctors to house calls ( *sigh* ). Have to say, a winter night's sleigh ride was considered as picturesque and enjoyable as holiday cards depict despite being the only way to get around. Races were common, too- with inevitable disasters.

sleigh country.jpg

NYPL, entitled ' A Country Morning ' is from the mid 1800's.

Hate to regret progress, can't help feeling a little resentful towards Henry Ford this time of year.

sleigh 3 The_Monmouth_Inquirer_Thu__Jan_14__1864_.jpg

sleigh 4 The_Monmouth_Inquirer_Thu__Jan_14__1864_.jpg

sled broadway.jpg

Sleighs on NYC streets are an awfully popular subject in the era- no nostalgia required.

sleigh broadway 1860.JPG

Both images depict Broadway- cool stuff!

sleigh  nyc barnums.JPG

One of my favorites, multi sleigh collision in front of Barnum's.

Love the Currier and Ives prints. Reminds me of song "Jingle Bells".. It was composed by James Pierpont of Boston in 1857 for a Sunday school presentation. "Though most of us don't know it, "jingle" in this lyric is something we are supposed to do, as in "ring". It was Pierpont's intent that we jingle those bells as we ride along in a one horse open sleigh."

From: "The Great American Christmas Almanac", by Irena Chalmers. 1988.

Ah. A warm weather fan. It's so funny how one person's joy is another's h***. You and @Northern Light in adjoining posts seems typical, although I'm with NL. Also just detest hot weather!
I am with you there, JPK! I love the colder weather because you can always added more layers, but when it is hot, there is only so much you can take off.:hot: It is supposed to be minus 4F here tonight, however, and that is a bit chilly, even for me.:cold:

There are no sleighs or sleigh rides here in South Texas, I'm imagining , and for me its torture being cold. (Blood thinners?) But being Hot can be a form of torture too. It is probably a lot of fun the next day or night after the snowfall just not during though.

There are no sleighs or sleigh rides here in South Texas, I'm imagining , and for me its torture being cold. (Blood thinners?) But being Hot can be a form of torture too. It is probably a lot of fun the next day or night after the snowfall just not during though.
Oh, but snow is magical, Polloco. Walking in the snow, catching the flakes on your tongue, building a snowperson, making snow angels... that's the best winter magic!
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReJYo2alQpY5PEiUEnnNc8J5JR8eyFLhMhAHXmU4TpIVqfjwt0.jpg

Back