Pickett The horse drawn caisson that bore George Pickett to his final resting place.

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Honored Fallen Comrade
1382052_308430629298464_1286873060_n.jpg

On display at the U.S. Army Quartermaster Museum at Fort Lee, Virginia

I am trying to recall this incident, although it is a bit "fuzzy."

After the war, General Lee was vacationing at a health resort in Virginia and many of the former officers of the Army of Northern Virginia came to meet Lee one last time.

Lee was upstairs in a room and would receive one officer at a time and talk. Downstairs in the bar where the other officers were awaiting their turn to go and see Lee, Mosby (I think) saw George Pickett drinking at the bar. Apparently, something was bothering Pickett.

Mosby went over to the bar and stood next to Pickett and began some small talk. When Mosby inquired gently as to why Pickiett was so upset, Pickett spat out the words in anger: "That old man upstairs (referring to Lee) destroyed my division at Gettysburg!"

Mosby's reply: "Yes, he did, but he also made you Immortal."

If anyone on this BB has the correct account of this incident, please post it as my memory isn't what it used to be! (Just ask my wife!!!)

The Pickett Society reproduces several old articles revolving around Lee, Pickett and Mosby. This appears to be Mosby's telling of the story, which the society seems to refute as being accurate.

I met General Lee a few times after the war, but the days of strife were never mentioned. I remember the last words he spoke to me about two months before his death at a reception that was given to him in Alexandria. When I bade him good-by, he said: "Colonel, I hope we shall have no more wars."

In March 1870, I was walking across the bridge that connected the Ballard and Exchange Hotels in Richmond and, to my surprise, I met General Lee and his daughter. The general was pale and haggard, and did not look like the Apollo I had known in the army. After a while I went to his room; our conversation was on current topics. I felt oppressed by the great memories that his presence revived and while both of us were thinking about the war, neither of us referred to it.​

After leaving his room I met General Pickett, and told him that I had just been with Lee. He remarked that if I would go with him he would call and pay his respects to the general, but he did not want to be alone with him. So I went back with Pickett: the interview was cold and formal, and evidently embarrassing to both commanders. It was their only meeting after the war.​

In a few minutes, I rose and left the room, together with General Pickett. He then spoke to me very bitterly of General Lee, calling him "that old man."​

"He had my division massacred at Gettysburg," Pickett said.​

"Well, it made you immortal," I replied.​

I rather suspect that Pickett gave a wrong reason for his unfriendly feelings. In May 1892 at the University of Virginia, I took breakfast with Professor Venable, who had been on Lee's staff. He told me that some days before the surrender at Appomattox General Lee ordered General Pickett under arrest, I suppose for the Five Forks affair. I think the professor said he carried the order. I remember very well his adding that on the retreat Pickett passed them, and that General Lee said, with deep feeling: "Is that man still with this army?"​

I don't know if Mosby actually said to Pickett, "it made you immortal," but that sounds a lot like Mosby's clear-eyed bluntness.

Also, true.

Last edited:
My understangins is that Stephen Lang, the actor that played the role of "George Pickett" in the 1993 movie "Gettysburg," sometimes drops by Pickett's grave and takes care of it. Interestingly enough, Lang is originally from New York but he was so intrigued by the character of the original George Pickett he admires the man and does his part to take care of Pickett's final resting place.

Back