The Hard Cost of South Carolina's Secession

uaskme

Sergeant Major
Don't forget Texas where slave owner moved into, rebelled, converting a free province of Mexico into a slave republic and then annexed it as a States.
Yankee Myth. Mexico had Slavery. The Spanish outlawed Native Indian Slavery in 1542. However it flourished for 250 years. Natives were enslaved just as were Africans.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

James Lutzweiler

First Sergeant
As @jgoodguy showed in his post on Confederate diplomacy with Mexico the slave owners certainly desired more territory in Mexico. There was a society that many slave owners belonged to " the Circle of the Golden Crescent" which envisioned a slave r republic with its capital in Havana and the Southern US states plus parts of Mexico.
Slave owners did finance William Walker who attempted to take over Nicaragua.
As mentioned the Confederacy attempted to invade the New Mexico Territory.
So basically the ideal Confederate nation would include not only the eleven Southern states but also the border states of Missouri , Kentucky, Maryland and Delaware plus the New Mexico and Southern California, Cuba, Central America and Southern Mexico.
Leftyhunter
Well spoken. That's how I see it.

James Lutzweiler

First Sergeant
For clarification: Your original question concerned "the hard cost of South Carolina secession'. Now you are asking about South Carolina secessionists' "specific antebellum dreams". Most would not equate 'dreams" with "hard costs": are you changing the focus? Are we slipping into 'TRR Redux'?
Thank you.

No REDUX for me. Dreams cost money also. Dreams were a part of Secession. Seceshers had a vision for their future. their future would be a glorious slave empire with an economy that triumphed over all. It desired to be the biggest economic empire on earth, the center of world commerce. This was their dream. But how much was that dream, the first step of which for them was Secession, going to cost? In the business world, when one breaks from his partners, one has start up costs. One breaks with his partners because he has dreams of how much better off he will be. In making such a break, he has already counted the costs and thinks he can make it. Same with SC and the rest of the copycatting South.

So, no to the REDUX. All of this is interwoven. But I certainly appreciate your desire to keep us on track. I have no doubt that we are.