The Great Locomotive Chase

I've always wondered if the General was that pretty during the war.
As much as these engines were utilized on the Western& Atlantic during the Civil War, as time wore on I imagine that they got rather worn looking. However, as the General was still fairly new (being constructed in the mid 1850's) and the fact that these engines were usually rather well finished for the time; I imagine that she was rather attractive in 1862.

Last edited:
View attachment 342594

Although Andrews was hanged in Atlanta, he and several of his men were subsequently removed to the National Cemetery in Chattanooga where they had been imprisoned before being transferred to Atlanta. His grave is the first at left facing the Ohio monument which is topped by a model of what the General looked like in the 1880's when it was erected. (Most of his men were members of three different Ohio regiments.)
As Andrews was a civilian (and wasn't eligible for the MoH), did he have to receive a special dispensation to be buried in a military cemetery?

As Andrews was a civilian (and wasn't eligible for the MoH), did he have to receive a special dispensation to be buried in a military cemetery?
I don't believe so, because there are numerous exceptions in National Cemeteries across the country, but in his case I don't know for sure.

I remember reading that on the day Anderson was to be hanged here in Chattanooga, Wilder topped the Northshore ridge line and started lobbing artillery shells into the city. It was near enough to the jail that the hanging was postponed, and the prisoners moved to Atlanta.
Lubliner.

Back