The great historical paradox of the so-called “civil war” is that the North was fighting for slavery and that the south was fighting for freedom

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I see it the northern armies were fighting to expand the power of the central government in order to enslave all citizens both north and south under a centralized despotism, and all of the northern hand-wringing over slavery was both specious and disingenuous. The truth of the matter is that it was the Confederate Army that was fighting for the rights and freedoms that we love and cherish (e.g. freedom of speech, freedom of conscience and the right to self-determination, etc.), and herein lies one of the greatest paradoxes in all of recorded history.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Perhaps a not-very-well-known fact about the “civil war” was the loyalty oath that was imposed on southern citizens who were coerced into violating their freedom of conscience by swearing allegiance to a hostile entity that was pillaging their homes and burning down their villages.

The northern apologists can certainly twist the words of the constitution in such a breathtaking manner that it literally boggles the mind. I possess a copy of the constitution that I’ve been studying, and thus far I haven’t been able to detect any congruence between the actions of Lincoln and his armies and the words of the United States Constitution.

NedBaldwin

Major
As I see it the northern armies were fighting to expand the power of the central government in order to enslave all citizens both north and south under a centralized despotism, and all of the northern hand-wringing over slavery was both specious and disingenuous. The truth of the matter is that it was the Confederate Army that was fighting for the rights and freedoms that we love and cherish (e.g. freedom of speech, freedom of conscience and the right to self-determination, etc.), and herein lies one of the greatest paradoxes in all of recorded history.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter.
Confederate states were in favor of limits
on speech, conscience, self determination etc in order to maintain an oligarchy based on slavery.
Confederate states were in favor of a powerful central government when it served those interests.
Republicans wanted government to support freedom instead slavery, so the oligarchy of the south rebelled in order to stop the spread of freedom. But they lost and the US become a freer country then it had been before.

Confederate states were in favor of limits
on speech, conscience, self determination etc in order to maintain an oligarchy based on slavery.
Confederate states were in favor of a powerful central government when it served those interests.
Republicans wanted government to support freedom instead slavery, so the oligarchy of the south rebelled in order to stop the spread of freedom. But they lost and the US become a freer country then it had been before.
Here we go with the slavery thing again.

Slavery existed in the Yankee state of Delaware all throughout the war and the War Aims Resolution of 1861doesn’t mention anything about slavery.

Clearly the whole slavery thing was conjured up as a moralistic-sounding afterthought.

The northern apologists can certainly twist the words of the constitution in such a breathtaking manner that it literally boggles the mind. I possess a copy of the constitution that I’ve been studying, and thus far I haven’t been able to detect any congruence between the actions of Lincoln and his armies and the words of the United States Constitution.
Clue: Read some of the Federal Laws that the Constitution's Article I, Section 8, Clause 18 enabled Congress to write and pass from 1789 onward. Your elusive answers are there.

NedBaldwin

Major

Slavery existed in the Yankee state of Delaware all throughout the war and the War Aims Resolution of 1861doesn’t mention anything about slavery.

Clearly the whole slavery thing was conjured up as a moralistic-sounding afterthought.
Clearly you have no knowledges of actual history.

You asked for our thoughts on the matter
My thought is that what you wrote at the start of this thread is propaganda nonesense not based in actual history

Irishtom29

Sergeant Major

The rebellion was intended to protect slavery and having made war in an immoral cause it was the rebel's own fault the United States was able to subsequently take the moral high ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.