The Great Courses - The American Civil War by Gary Gallagher - on sale 80% off

This course was one of my first introductions to the history of the war way back when I was just getting serious. It was also my introduction to Gary Gallagher who is now one of my very favorite historians of the era.

This is a very good introductory course but is not geared toward a more educated audience. So, if you are just getting started it will be very rewarding and I highly recommend it. There's also a little booklet that has good references and reading suggestions.

Be aware, though, that if you ever buy anything from The Great Courses you will regularly receive catalogues and other mail forever. They do have some good stuff though (and some not-so-good).

My daughter gave me this set a number of years ago I don't care to recall. At the time, we had just moved to Maryland and I was excited about being close enough to visit historical sites up and down the east coast. I had a general knowledge about the war , but wanted to learn more. The courses provided information from A to Z on the causes of the war, politics, leaders, and strategy. It made it easier to decide which battlefields to visit first or spend more time. It also gave me a better idea of books to acquire and read which drilled down into specific events and subjects of the war. Personally, agreeing or disagreeing could sometimes go either way, but I never regretted the time involved in watching Gary's course. It takes several hours to watch the entire course. Last year he was a speaker at our round table. As you would expect, he is an excellent speaker. Would you believe his hair was darker back when he made this course?

Attachments

• 010 Oct2017_Speaker Gary Gallager.JPG
    010 Oct2017_Speaker Gary Gallager.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 146
Thanks for the 'heads up'! I have become very fond of his lectures and presentations on YouTube. Wish I had had such a great professor in history classes....

Highly recommend this, just finished an audible version of this for a second time a month or so ago. If you're interested in this (or any other Great Courses material) and are fine with just audio only I highly recommend taking a look at audible. You pay $15 a month (can cancel whenever) for a credit, and a single credit can buy a full Great Courses course (this one is 24 hours, which is a great value, though I also go a 43 hour one for one credit too with Gallagher being one of three lecturers). If you can get those credit on a special promo deal it can get to be even more of an insane value, my first 3 months I got for something like $5, so I paid basically less than $2 for 24+ hours of a lecture. I recommend keeping an eye out for the deals and I've found many of those other Great Courses history lectures to be of equally high quality too (YMMV with each lecturer of course, though so far I haven't hit a bad one).

Back