The Glamorous (Yet Not Too Much Battle Exposure): Guarding Montgomery, AL Building Fortifications On Alabama River and Mobile Bay

ToniH

Cadet
I only recently joined, but I have been truly appreciating all of the helpful hints and eye-opening facts from the 'CivilWarTalk.com' jedi masters.

A few months ago, the family and I focused on his CMSRs (see attached), which listed him as part of the Watson Battery Louisiana Artillery. We continued down the road to examine the CMSRs of the Watson Battery Louisiana Artillery, and enjoyed reading about the various battles they were in..ending in Post Hudson.

Thanks to the assistance of ucvrelics (thank you, "professor"), I recently learned that we had been missing an important note on one of the CMSR (page #6 of the attached CMSR). My relative was attached to duty in Montgomery Ala ("Remarks: At Montgomery, Ala") apparently meant that he was on duty in Montgomery, Alabama with building fortifications on the Alabama river and Mobile Bay.

WHERE do I look to find out information (pictures, drawings, writings, etc.) on soldiers who guarded buildings, installations, ship building yards, ammo production plants, ships, railroads, etc.? In particular, in the Montgomery, Alabama, Alabama River, and Mobile Bay areas.

• Before the Civil War, he was working as apprentice Shipwright (Per the 1860 Census)
  • During the War, he guarded areas along the Alabama River and Mobile Bay (I believe)
  • Per his Pension Application (see attached..Second Page),
    • He was doing steamboat service on the Alabama River.
    • He also served under Admiral Buchanan at Mobile, and as a ship carpenter on Alabama River.

DETAILS FOR THE CIVIL WAR GANG TO REVIEW

I have been unsuccessful at tracking my "uncle's" Civil War journey. However, with your hints and guidance, I know that this crazy family genealogy fanatic (addict) will prevail.:smile:

Mark Anthony Morse
DOB:
August 24, 1840 Algiers, Orleans, Louisiana
DOD: March 28, 1927 Algiers, Orleans, Louisiana

Enlisted: August 15, 1841 St. Joe, Tensas Parish, Louisiana
Watson's Battery Louisiana Light Artillery (unit transitioned to Heavy Artillery at Port Hudson)

Rank In: Corporate
Rank Out: Private

Per Mark's Pension Application (see attached)
Branch: Artillery. Also served under Admiral Buchanan at Mobile, and as a ship carpenter on Alabama River

If discharged or paroled where were you and what did you do at the close of the war?
Paroled at Mobile on May 19, 1865

Where did you surrender?
Doing steamboat service on Alabama River

If a prisoner, in what camp, and where were you released, and to where sent?
I was taken prisoner near the end of the War and was a prisoner when I was paroled.

Did you take the oath of allegiance to the United States Government at any time? If so, when and where?
No.

Thank you!!!
Toni Heitzmann

Mark Anthony Morse - Soldier's Application for Pension (Page 2).jpg

Mark Anthony Morse - First page of Soldier's Application for Pension.jpg

Mark Anthony Morse - Soldier's Application for Pension (Page 2).jpg

Mark Anthony Morse - First page of Soldier's Application for Pension.jpg

Attachments

• Morse, Mark A 'CMSR'.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • Morse, Mark A 'CMSR'.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
Hello, the record refers to Pvt. Morse "detailed on extra duty" (detached from Watson's Battery at Port Hudson) at Montgomery on May 18, 1863. A large number of troops (McCown's Division, and Gist's, Walker's, and Evan's Brigades) being transferred west to Johnston' Army of Relief in Mississippi were passing through Montgomery this week. Just a note of interest: no indication this has anything to do with his duty there at the time.

As far as his duty at Mobile, and as a ship carpenter on Alabama River, the history of Watson's Battery indicates that it disbanded after the surrender of Port Hudson, and many of the men joined the 1st La. Heavy Arty., which beginning in early 1864, was stationed at Mobile in the fortifications around the city. Given that Pvt. Morse surrendered while "doing steamboat service on Alabama River," he apparently had been detached to service aboard ship. Another note of interest regarding "paroled at Mobile on May 19, 1865." After the capture of Mobile in mid-April, the steamers at Mobile joined Commodore Farrand's Mobile Squadron on its retreat up the Tombigbee River to Demopolis. Farrand surrendered at Nanna Hubba Bluff (Tombigbee River) on May 10, 1865.

Back