Handguns The George Todd Revolver

sourdough

Corporal
I am looking for additional information on this gun. George Todd was a small gunmaker in Austin TX from 1856-1861 and produced copies of the Colt 1851 Navy .36 prior to the ACW. My information about him and his guns is relegated to Flayderman's Guide and "Confederate Handguns" (Albaugh, et al, 1963).

Accordingly, Todd produced both octagonal and part round/part octagonal barrel models.

Flayderman scan:

George-Todd.jpg

I believe this one to be a real Todd revolver, but I cannot find any reference to it after the 2007 auction, where it did not sell.

lf.jpg

I believe this one to be a spurious Italian defarbed repro, mainly because of the incorrect stamping on the right side of the frame.

pistol-01.jpg

Any info would be well appreciated!

Jim

I didn't think it would be good, but that is why I rely on learned folks like all of you to set me straight.

I am not in the market for an original; rather, I want to know what an original looks like, down to the fine details. My actual goal is to create a defarbed/antiqued Todd revolver using an Italian repro that will be clearly marked as a fake on the underside of the barrel only to be seen when the load lever is unlatched. I want it for display only and would never try to pass it off as the real deal, which I detest.

Lodgewood does a good business using certain various Italian replicas which are clearly marked as fakes in certain areas of the pistols.

This is a Rigdon & Ansley 12-stop-slot revolver that is clearly advertised as and marked as a fake, and it sold for $600 at auction:

I have a poorman's version of an R&A I created using a Pietta 1851 Navy .36 and swapped out the barrel and cylinder with a part round/part octagon barrel and a smooth cylinder that I cut for an additional 6 stop slots (because 12-stop-slot cylinders are scarce as hen's teeth on the market). The Pietta factory never made this revolver. It still has all the Pietta barrel billboards and the proof marks:

Pietta-Rigdon-Ansley-Pietta-G-G.jpg

I have had dealings with one of the sellers several years ago which was unpleasant, but I won't go into any details here. If anyone wants to join into the private conversation I started with LP, I can add you to that conversation.

Regards,

Jim

Last edited:
Back