Lee The General Robert E. Lee's Retreat Driving Tour : Petersburg to Appomattox, Virginia

The Battle of Namozine Church, Virginia was an engagement between Federal Army and Confederate Army forces that occurred on April 3rd, 1865 during the Appomattox Campaign of the American Civil War. The battle was the first engagement between units of General Robert E. Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia after that army's evacuation of Petersburg and Richmond, Virginia on April 2nd, 1865 and units of the Union Army (Army of the Shenandoah, Army of the Potomac and Army of the James) under the immediate command of Major General Philip Sheridan, who was still acting independently as commander of the Army of the Shenandoah, and under the overall direction of Federal General-in-Chief Lt. General Ulysses S. Grant.

The Battle of Appomattox Station, Virginia occurred on this day in 1865. This battle was fought between a Federal Army cavalry division under the command of Brigadier General George Armstrong Custer and Confederate Army of Northern Virginia artillery units commanded by Brigadier General Lindsay Walker with support from some dismounted cavalrymen, artillerymen armed with muskets.This conflict was the last battle in the Appomattox Campaign. Confederate General Robert E. Lee would surrender his Army of Northern Virginia to Federal Lt. General Ulysses S. Grant on April - 9th, 1865 at the Appomattox Court House.

* The Appomattox Campaign ends on this day in 1865. Confederate General Robert E. Lee surrenders his Army of Northern Virginia to Federal Lt. General Ulysses S. Grant at the McLean House at the Appomattox Court House.

IMG_20180408_203423.jpg

FB_IMG_1523272656587.jpg

FB_IMG_1523272669748.jpg

Love this thread. That tour is still very much on my bucket list. I have been to Lynchburg/Appomattox Court House in January 2015 and Petersburg/Five Forks in January 2016 but they were sorta hurried visits. The places I didn't get to see in Petersburg alone would take a whole day up.

On this day in 1865, one day after surrendering to Federal Lt. General Ulysses S. Grant, Confederate General Robert E. Lee addresses his army for the last time. “After four years of arduous service, marked by unsurpassed courage and fortitude, the Army of Northern Virginia has been compelled to yield to overwhelming numbers and resources. I need not tell the brave survivors of so many hard-fought battles, who have remained steadfast to the last, that I have consented to the result from no distrust of them…I determined to avoid the useless sacrifice of those whose past services have endeared them to their countrymen…I bid you an affectionate farewell.”

FB_IMG_1523366568856.jpg

The Battle of Namozine Church, Virginia, occurred on this day in 1865 during the Appomattox Campaign of the American Civil War. This battle was the first engagement between units of General Robert E. Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia after that army's evacuation of Petersburg and Richmond, Virginia, on April 2nd, 1865 and units of the Federal Army (Army of the Shenandoah, Army of the Potomac and Army of the James) under the immediate command of Major General Philip Sheridan.
Simply HDR_1554289021694.jpg

@Buckeye Bill

Would you have a recommendation for how long to plan for a trip to see the Petersburg battlefields and then the retreat to Appomattox?

Once there, one day around Petersburg and then another for the retreat? How does that sound?

Am just in the initial stages of planning, but I think I am set on this as my focus. Many thanks for your input!

@Buckeye Bill

Would you have a recommendation for how long to plan for a trip to see the Petersburg battlefields and then the retreat to Appomattox?

Once there, one day around Petersburg and then another for the retreat? How does that sound?

Am just in the initial stages of planning, but I think I am set on this as my focus. Many thanks for your input!

I would give it three solid days. My son and I did our trip in two days and missed visiting the new Appomattox Court House Museum.

Bill

Dinwiddie Court House, March 31, 1865. Sheridan's initial attempt to seize the Five Forks crossroads is driven back by Pickett's combined infantry and cavalry attacks. Sheridan's men take positions just north of the Court House until reinforced by infantry from Warren's V Corps. Unfortunately, as many are aware, no good deed goes unpunished; a lesson Warren would learn the following day.

078 Dinwiddie CH.JPG

080 Dinwiddie CH.JPG

It's what passes for history among confederate heritage folks. It's why when folks claim moving confederate monuments is erasing history, in many cases I laugh because the monument is actually a false version of history or tells us nothing at all about history.

Here's another laugh for you:

https://www.elon.edu/u/elon-poll/elon-poll-confederate-statues-and-monuments/

1585530795662.png

https://apnews.com/f7735f65deb042a1b5c930675f994d05

COLUMBIA, S.C. – Residents in the South are split on what to do with controversial monuments to Civil War and segregation-era figures. Most respondents in a new poll by Winthrop University want to do something about the monuments, but they don’t agree on what.

Meanwhile, a large number of respondents told Winthrop to leave monuments to Confederate soldiers right where they are.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...te-monuments-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKCN1B12EG

A majority of Americans want to preserve Confederate monuments: Reuters/Ipsos poll
A majority of Americans think Confederate monuments should be preserved in public spaces, according to a Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll, a view that is at odds with efforts in many cities to remove them.
Polls shows majority of Americans think Confederate statues should remain

Poll found that 54% of American adults said Confederate monuments ‘should remain in all public spaces’, while 27% called for them to be removed

Etc, etc.

A few years back I did a bus tour of the Appomattox Campaign. The people doing the tour would talk about the campaign while we road. We had many stops and seen most of the sites. I much enjoyed the bus tour.

Back