Lee The General Robert E. Lee's Retreat Driving Tour : Petersburg to Appomattox, Virginia

A few years back I did a bus tour of the Appomattox Campaign. The people doing the tour would talk about the campaign while we road. We had many stops and seen most of the sites. I much enjoyed the bus tour.

My son and I really enjoyed our trip from the Petersburg National Battlefield to the Appomattox Court House National Historical Park. The small towns along the way were extremely interesting to visit. I highly recommend this tour!!!

Bill

re High Bridge....I've often read of a "lower" wagon bridge and always thought that it was a two level bridge.

This morning after finishing up Bearss' second volume on the campaign it seems that the bridge was actually four miles lower down the river.

Can anyone confirm?

EDITED TO ADD... I'm wrong (see post below).

I miss you, Chuck!

On this day in 1865, two streams of Confederate Robert E. Lee's army, one stream from Petersburg and the other stream from Richmond, met at Amelia Court House, Virginia. General Lee expected to receive food and supplies that never arrived to his camp. This delay proved costly. U.S. Army cavalry cut off the planned retreat route to the south at Jetersville, Virginia.

FB_IMG_1649071480000.jpg

Back