The Free State of Jones

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Hey, Bee, you inspired your fellow late-to-the-partier: I finally watched Gettysburg last night!!! My favorite thing about it was how it was actually filmed at Gettysburg. My least favorite thing about it: No Meade!!!! (well, except for about ten seconds) Anyhow, I've been a member here for over two years, but your example finally motivated me to watch this "required" movie!

Your membership suspension has been lifted. :wink:

Bee

Captain
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017
Hey, Bee, you inspired your fellow late-to-the-partier: I finally watched Gettysburg last night!!! My favorite thing about it was how it was actually filmed at Gettysburg. My least favorite thing about it: No Meade!!!! (well, except for about ten seconds) Anyhow, I've been a member here for over two years, but your example finally motivated me to watch this "required" movie!

Very cool, Miss Kathy. They tell me that Glory is in the mail -- I can't wait until that one arrives!!! We can chat about that one, too :smile:

I, too, kept looking for Mead (blink and he was gone) However, I was pleased that we got a good deal of Sam Elliot, I mean Buford :smile:

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Very cool, Miss Kathy. They tell me that Glory is in the mail -- I can't wait until that one arrives!!! We can chat about that one, too :smile:

I, too, kept looking for Mead (blink and he was gone) However, I was pleased that we got a good deal of Sam Elliot, I mean Buford :smile:

Richard Anderson played Meade. Every time I see him in anything, I always think, "It's Oscar Goldman!"

@KansasFreestater and @Bee
Since you just watched Gettysburg
go to YouTube and search "NPS Matt Atkinson Little Round Top and Devils Den" tour talk series
and watch descriptive ranger tour stops from the battle vistas that have not changed in 150 + years

Learn more about the story than the Hollywood Gettysburg Glory

Ranger Atkinson talks about the making of the movie and some of it was on site, but not all battle scenes were
or you would have Monuments in every scene, great to hide behind when the artillery was shelling ya :cannon: . . :biggrin:

Bee

Captain
Richard Anderson played Meade. Every time I see him in anything, I always think, "It's Oscar Goldman!"

When I saw his name in the credits....I said the same thing!!! I only associate him with Six Million Dollar Man :smile:

Bee

Captain
Ranger Atkinson talks about the making of the movie and some of it was on site, but not all battle scenes were
or you would have Monuments in every scene, great to hide behind when the artillery was shelling ya :cannon: . . :biggrin:

Ranger Matt: that's my Dirty Dan Man!!! I have seen every video he has done -- love him :smile:

PS I loved how Warren struck a pose that matched the statue -- exactly.

Ranger Matt: that's my Dirty Dan Man!!! I have seen every video he has done -- love him :smile:

I wouldn't call Ron Maxwell an auteur exactly, but this is a trick of his: composing a shot that resembles a painting or other work of art. It requires the actors to stand absolutely still, which sort of defeats the idea of "motion" pictures.

KansasFreestater

1st Lieutenant

Do be sure to read James N.'s thread about his experiences as an actor in Glory after you've seen the movie. And after that, you can watch it again and look for him! It's one of my favorite CWT threads ever, since I am endlessly fascinated with how movies actually get made.

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021

True of course, but I believe most of it was at least filmed in Adams County within a few miles at most of Gettysburg. I think almost all actually filmed there were shots of Buford with the Seminary behind him (NOT the ones "in" the reproduction cupola) and Pickett's Confederates moving up for the assault cheering Lee. The following year the 135th anniversary reenactment was held on the same ground where much of the film was shot.

MaryDee

2nd Lieutenant
If you watch very carefully as the 20th Maine is moving into position, there's a very brief glimpse of a statue in the background. Evidently that part was filmed in the park! (That reveals how many times I've watched this movie!) My understanding (from talking to a couple of gentlemen in my reenacting group who went back east to be in the movie) was that all battle scenes were filmed outside the park. That was partly because of the monuments issue and mostly because the NPS understandably didn't want actual firing and, especially, ground charges (used to fake shells exploding, even though real shells exploded in the air) disturbing or damaging "this hallowed ground." Both my friends participated in Pickett's charge (galvanizing, since ours is a Union group) and said that while they formed up and started on NPS ground, they were on the farm for any scenes involving firing.

I watched the two Matt Atkinson videos (LRT and Devils Den) over last weekend. I had seen the first (starring the reluctant little boy in the Union uniform) before, but hadn't really focused on what he said about the movie.

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l

Speaking of which, take a look on the right side of the screen in these photos:

Gettysburg Movie 1.jpg
Gettysburg Movie Warren-1.jpg
Gettysburg Movie Warren-2.jpg

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Per the website "Box Office Mojo has of July 6th 2016 FSJ is the number 9 most popular movie in the US. It has earned 17.5 million dollars. Assuming it's production costs are 50 million dollars FSJ needs approximately 100 million dollars in gross ticket sales to break even. Traditionally ticket sales are split 50-50 between the studio and the cinema owners.
Leftyhunter