The Free State of Jones

I was told the release date is June 24th at our local theater.

I responded with:

image.gif

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Since the movie's release is now a month out.

There's a new article for it.

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/free-state-of-jones/

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/mov...ree-state-of-jones.105864/page-6#post-1278068

"The court, upon the evidence and after considering the briefs and arguments of counsel on both sides make the following

FINDING OF FACT.

The evidence fails to support the allegation of the petition that the Jones County Scouts were organized for military service in behalf of United States or that they were in sentiment and feeling throughout the war loyal to the Government of the United States.

By The Court.
Filed, April 16, 1900.
A true copy.

Test this 2d day of February, 1907.

[seal.] John Randolph, Assistant Clerk Court of Claims."

Newton Knight.jpg

Last edited:

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l

Desert Kid

2nd Lieutenant
So there are some fictional composite characters in the movie.

Lt. Barbour is a composite character of several different officers who carried out the "tax in kind" laws in Jones County historically. And Daniel is fictional.

A bit like Buster Kilrain in Gettysburg being a composite of a few 20th Maine personalities.

Allie

Captain
If I am not mistaken only formally enlisted members of the Union Army , Navy, Marines and Missouri State Militia were eligible for military pensions. Some Unionist guerrillas did when able formally enlisted in the Union military. Otherwise no pension even if they fought effectively against the Confederacy.
Leftyhunter
Definitely looking forward to this one! It even looks like one of my Sumrall relatives made it into the movie.

My Jones county relatives are Landrums - according to a Confederate memo a Captain Landrum led a guerrilla raid on Augusta. They were apparently working in parallel with Knight. Several family members eventually formally enlisted in the Union army in Louisiana. Otherwise they followed the same arc as Knight - first being drafted (probably) into the Confederate forces, then deserting and becoming guerrillas.

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Definitely looking forward to this one! It even looks like one of my Sumrall relatives made it into the movie.

My Jones county relatives are Landrums - according to a Confederate memo a Captain Landrum led a guerrilla raid on Augusta. They were apparently working in parallel with Knight. Several family members eventually formally enlisted in the Union army in Louisiana. Otherwise they followed the same arc as Knight - first being drafted (probably) into the Confederate forces, then deserting and becoming guerrillas.
No doubt the family members who enlisted in the Union Army enjoyed better whiskey in their old age then the ones that didn't. The ones that didn't enlist probably came around for poker night for that very reason. A Union pension would go far in rural Mississippi.
Leftyhunter

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
https://renegadesouth.wordpress.com...ry-1864-letter-describes-free-state-of-jones/

What would keep them from joining a Union Army that was all over Mississippi in 1863-1864 ? Vicksburg, Grierson's Raid, Sherman's burning of Meridian & Jackson, and the "Great Sweet Potato Raid" by "Blackjack" Davidson. They must have found their "comfort zone" living in the swamps and making war on civilians.
I can't speak for folks long dead so I can only speculate. Their were many on the Confederate side who preferred " to fight on their own hook" might not that be the same for some Unionists? Many guerrillas on both sides wanted to stay close to home and protect their loved ones. Many did not wish to submit to army discipline or become cannon fodder. Has far as preying on civilians Confederate civilians in the home guards who used cruel methods to coerce poor men into the Confederate Army brought that on themselves.
Leftyhunter

I can't speak for folks long dead so I can only speculate. Their were many on the Confederate side who preferred " to fight on their own hook" might not that be the same for some Unionists? Many guerrillas on both sides wanted to stay close to home and protect their loved ones. Many did not wish to submit to army discipline or become cannon fodder. Has far as preying on civilians Confederate civilians in the home guards who used cruel methods to coerce poor men into the Confederate Army brought that on themselves.
Leftyhunter

Lots of folks have no trouble speaking for so called "Black Confederates" long dead. Mississippi, Confederate, and Federal records all agree Newton Knight was a twice rebel deserter and nothing more. Certainly not the "Robin Hood of Mississippi," or The Great Emancipator # 2, that Hollywood will no doubt portray him to be.

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
https://renegadesouth.wordpress.com...ry-1864-letter-describes-free-state-of-jones/

What would keep them from joining a Union Army that was all over Mississippi in 1863-1864 ? Vicksburg, Grierson's Raid, Sherman's burning of Meridian & Jackson, and the "Great Sweet Potato Raid" by "Blackjack" Davidson. They must have found their "comfort zone" living in the swamps and making war on civilians.
A little of topic some Unionist guerrillas in South Eastern Florida did enlist in the 2nd Florida Cavalry regiment. Apparently some of Allie's relative's from Mississippi travaled to Louisiana to enlist in the Union Army . Previously to their enlistment they were if I understand correctly Unionist guerrillas. There may of been other Unionist guerrillas that enlisted in the Union Army especially the Mississippi Mounted Rifles.
Leftyhunter

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Lots of folks have no trouble speaking for so called "Black Confederates" long dead. Mississippi, Confederate, and Federal records all agree Newton Knight was a twice rebel deserter and nothing more. Certainly not the "Robin Hood of Mississippi," or The Great Emancipator # 2, that Hollywood will no doubt portray him to be.
I have not seen the movie so I can not speculate on how accurate it is. Any man
who deserts the Confederate Army and fights and or just ties down Confederate troops helps the Union cause. Old Newt was more then just a deserter he was a fighter.
Leftyhunter

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
I don't know about Newt just being a mere deserter. I don't know who claimed he was the second coming of the messiah but he was a good old boy who did some good for the red white and blue.
" Descendants of Newton Knight , a Confederate deserter from Jones County, Mississippi , still tell of how he killed Major Amos McLemore for hunting conscripts. As Ethel Knight tells the story, McLemore was a"hot -headed young fellow" who was "warned that he was treading on dangerous ground but refused to heed the warning".
P.121 "The South Bitterly Divided" David Williams thepress.com
P.156
" And fight they did. For the rest of the war Knight and his men numbering around 500, drove off Confederate agents, ambushed army patrols, and looted government depots, distributing the food stored their to the poor.So successfully did they subvert Confederate control of the county that it was called"the free state of Jones".
Sounds like Knight is a brave patriotic American not just a mere deserter.They ought to make a movie about him .
Leftyhunter