The Forgotten Man Who Almost Became President After Lincoln

Whoa. So, apart from our nations good fortune in Booth having chosen ( or only have been able to get ) mouth-breathing idjits as followers, if his plan had been carried out, what do you feel would have been our nations's path, post-war? The same as what happened, with reconstruction being set back to the dark ages and lost ground for the African Americans eventually or some brighter path, or worse than the former? I don't know enough about the situation politically to conjecture what would have happened with the removal of every, single player from the field and this man at the helm. It states he was an honorable, good man- went by his own compass, not by seeking public acclaim - would he have been eaten alive by the politics of the day or been able to hold his own?

I'm not crazy about ' what if ' threads, but this is a great one.

I'd never given the line of sucession any though or heard of Senator Foster. It could easily have come to pass. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
I must say that I had never heard of Mr. Foster, nor considered the Presidential line of secession.

There is currently an active thread about what we have learned from these forums. This is a perfect example of shared knowledge and learning something new every day.

I can only imagine the puzzled looks at Google & Yahoo next week, as analysts ponder the reason for spikes in searches for someone named Lafayette Sabine Foster. :confused:

Back