The First Confederate Flag To Fly Over Fort Morgan And Its Not What You Think!!!

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
Came across this flag today in the Alabama Archives. The caption on it reads Flag of the Young Men's Secession Association of Mobile 1861. I have never heard of this organization. After a little digging a very interesting story emerged. I would still like to know more about the association.
ft morgan flag.jpg

fort morgan flag.jpg

Fort Morgan’s historians recently unraveled another local mystery – the identity of the flag that was first to fly over the fort in 1861. It was that of the Young Men’s Secession Association, a group of professional men who were in favor of secession and created their own association to push for that move.
When the first regiment came to Fort Morgan, the unit carried its own flag as well as that of the association’s. It was the association’s flag the soldiers hoisted up the flag pole for the first two weeks after they arrived.
That flag was replaced with the flag of the Montgomery Rifles, a militia unit from Montgomery. Alabama didn’t have a state flag in 1861 so military units used their own early in the war. Eventually the first confederate flag was put into use in March, 1861.
1579306924242.png

Last edited:
Came across this flag today in the Alabama Archives. The caption on it reads Flag of the Young Men's Secession Association of Mobile 1861. I have never heard of this organization. After a little digging a very interesting story emerged. I would still like to know more about the association.
View attachment 342609
View attachment 342610
Fort Morgan’s historians recently unraveled another local mystery – the identity of the flag that was first to fly over the fort in 1861. It was that of the Young Men’s Secession Association, a group of professional men who were in favor of secession and created their own association to push for that move.
When the first regiment came to Fort Morgan, the unit carried its own flag as well as that of the association’s. It was the association’s flag the soldiers hoisted up the flag pole for the first two weeks after they arrived.
That flag was replaced with the flag of the Montgomery Rifles, a militia unit from Montgomery. Alabama didn’t have a state flag in 1861 so military units used their own early in the war. Eventually the first confederate flag was put into use in March, 1861.
View attachment 342611
Interesting thread. Thanks for sharing

I am well aware of that flag. However, I did not know its connection to Fort Morgan. I have long known it as being the Alabama Lone Star Precession Flag, 18 Dec 1860 (Mobile). It was replaced with the Alabama Secession Flag on January 16, 1861 (as Alabama seceded from the Union on 11 Jan 1861) which was flown over the State House at Montgomery briefly. On that date (16 Jan 1861) a reporter from the Montgomery Weekly Advertiser described the Secession flag as a "unique affair." Continuing, he explained that "on one side is a representation of the Goddess of Liberty, holding in her right hand a sword unsheathed, and in her left, a small flag with one star. In an arch just above this figure are the words, 'Alabama-Independent Now and Forever.' On the reverse, the prominent figure is a cotton plant, with a rattlesnake coiled at its roots. Immediately above the snake are the words 'Noli me tangere.' Also on the same side, appears the Coat of Arms of Alabama." Apparently, the flag continued to fly above the Capitol until February 10, 1861 when it was removed by Alexander Cletherall, W. J. Greene, Ferie Henshaw and J. J. Hooper, after it had sustained a great deal of damage due to a severe storm. In a letter to Governor Andrew B. Moore, they explained that the flag "was left flying last night from the dome of the capitol. We found it this morning, though torn, still flying, and being satisfied that in a few hours, the gale, now blowing, would entirely destroy it; we have taken the responsibility of hauling it down: and now deliver it to you, that it may be placed among the archives of the state." The flag remained in the Capitol and may have been placed in a "hall of flags" which was being used as a repository for retired regimental colors.

The 2nd Alabama Cavalry actually used the Alabama Secession flag to create their regimental battle flag, which was influenced by the Lone Star with Blue Field from the Precession flag. As they were in their Camp of Instruction at Camp Stone in March and April of 1862, which was an open field behind the State House at Montgomery, and Col. Hunter of the 2nd Alabama Cavalry found the damaged Alabama Secession flag stored in one of the rooms of the State House and used its design for their regimental flag.

Follow the links below for more information on both the Alabama Precession Flag and Secession Flag.

https://archives.alabama.gov/emblems/sessflag.html
https://archives.alabama.gov/emblems/noliflag.html

Last edited:
I am well aware of that flag. However, I did not know its connection to Fort Morgan. I have long known it as being the Alabama Lone Star Precession Flag, 18 Dec 1860 (Mobile). It was replaced with the Alabama Secession Flag on January 16, 1861 (as Alabama seceded from the Union on 11 Jan 1861) which was flown over the State House at Montgomery briefly. On that date (16 Jan 1861) a reporter from the Montgomery Weekly Advertiser described the Secession flag as a "unique affair." Continuing, he explained that "on one side is a representation of the Goddess of Liberty, holding in her right hand a sword unsheathed, and in her left, a small flag with one star. In an arch just above this figure are the words, 'Alabama-Independent Now and Forever.' On the reverse, the prominent figure is a cotton plant, with a rattlesnake coiled at its roots. Immediately above the snake are the words 'Noli me tangere.' Also on the same side, appears the Coat of Arms of Alabama." Apparently, the flag continued to fly above the Capitol until February 10, 1861 when it was removed by Alexander Cletherall, W. J. Greene, Ferie Henshaw and J. J. Hooper, after it had sustained a great deal of damage due to a severe storm. In a letter to Governor Andrew B. Moore, they explained that the flag "was left flying last night from the dome of the capitol. We found it this morning, though torn, still flying, and being satisfied that in a few hours, the gale, now blowing, would entirely destroy it; we have taken the responsibility of hauling it down: and now deliver it to you, that it may be placed among the archives of the state." The flag remained in the Capitol and may have been placed in a "hall of flags" which was being used as a repository for retired regimental colors.

The 2nd Alabama Cavalry actually used the Alabama Secession flag to create their regimental battle flag, which was influenced by the Lone Star with Blue Field from the Precession flag. As they were in their Camp of Instruction at Camp Stone in March and April of 1862, which was an open field behind the State House at Montgomery, and Col. Hunter of the 2nd Alabama Cavalry found the damaged Alabama Secession flag stored in one of the rooms of the State House and used its design for their regimental flag.

Follow the links below for more information on both the Alabama Precession Flag and Secession Flag.

https://archives.alabama.gov/emblems/sessflag.html
https://archives.alabama.gov/emblems/noliflag.html
What I found interesting was the fact that at that time Alabama didn't have a state flag.

What I found interesting was the fact that at that time Alabama didn't have a state flag.

This is true... They used the 16 Jan 1861 Alabama Secession Flag at the beginning of the War, which was the first "Official Flag" of Alabama. Then on 16 Feb 1895 they adopted the flag which they currently have as the Alabama Sate Flag, based off of the crimson cross of St. Andrew on a field of white. Some believe that the crimson saltire of the current flag of Alabama (1895) was designed to resemble the blue saltire of the Confederate Battle Flag, others believe it was influenced by the Spanish Cross of Burgundy.

There have been 7 Flags flown over what is now the State of Alabama, 5 of them being the National Flags of Spain, France, the United Kingdom of Great Britain (England), the United States of America and the Confederate States of America and only two Alabama State Flags (1861 Alabama Secession Flag and 1895 Alabama State Flag).

Last edited:
Back