NF The Fight for the Old North State: The Civil War in North Carolina, January-May 1864

Non-Fiction
Thanks to Cris Alvarez at the War Scholar blog for interviewing me about The Fight For the Old North State (Univ. of Kansas Press, 2019). The Q&A (at the link) goes into the book's origins, the research, use of period newspapers, the maps, etc., -- and includes a shoutout to my father.

I had a great time last week speaking about The Fight For the Old North State at the North Carolina History Center in New Bern - hosted by the New Bern Historical Society. My blog post about it is here with some shoutouts to some of knowledgeable people I met at the reception: https://hamptonnewsome.blogspot.com/2020/01/thanks-to-new-bern-historical-society.html

Here is my upcoming speaking schedule. Feel free to contact me (hamptonnewsome AT gmail) if you are looking for a speaker at your CWRT.

Old Baldy CWRT of Philadelphia - April 7, 2020
Wilmington (Delaware) CWRT - May 6, 2020
Raleigh CWRT - June 15, 2020
Seattle CWRT - October 8, 2020

1579959856295.png

Here is the upcoming (and revised) speaking schedule. If you live near one of these places, please come by and say hello. Also, if your group is looking for speakers, please feel free to email me.

Old Baldy CWRT of Philadelphia - April 7, 2020
Wilmington (Delaware) CWRT - May 6, 2020
Charlottesville CWRT - May 18, 2020
Raleigh CWRT - June 15, 2020
Puget Sound (Seattle) CWRT - October 8, 2020
Richmond CWRT - April 13, 2021

Over the last several months, I've had a great time speaking at various groups including the Pender CWRT in Rocky Mount, the Outer Banks CWRT, the Petersburg CWRT, and the New Bern Historical Society. I also want to thank Gerry Prokopowicz for having me on CivilWarTalk Radio. I'm grateful for the recognition The Fight For the Old North State has received, including Best Book of the Year from Civil War Books and Authors. Thanks so much to everyone who has bought the book!

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI - A review from Ryan Quint of The Fight For the Old North State at Emerging Civil War.

Some excerpts:
Newsome’s pages present a perfectly mastered monograph on the subject ... In summation, it is difficult to imagine any writer approaching the subject of the 1864 North Carolina Campaign with the same degree of thoroughness that Newsome has accomplished in this book. He has proven to be among the best Civil War authors writing today.

Learned this week that the paperback edition of The Fight For The Old North State may be coming out sooner than expected.

Apparently, only a few copies of the hardback remain. So if you want the hardback - now’s the time.

Back