The Farm Report: Agriculture in the South During the Reconstruction Year of 1868

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
In another thread, @RobertP suggested that politics and racial conflict were not the only aspects of life in the former slave states after the Civil War. Many people in the South were farmers. Accordingly, I am starting this thread to post primary source materials about farming in the South and Border States in 1868. This is also a good place to discuss and argue about how farming was carried out, markets for farm products, and changes caused by altered property, labor, and tax structures.

I am also interested in seeing if the war resulted in women taking a more forward-facing role in agriculture.

While I will be adding materials to this thread as my research into the South and Border States in 1868 progresses, please post materials you come up with as well.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
Our Sumter Correspondence. The Lands And Crops Of Middle Carolina--A Labor Contract Which Works
More
Charleston Courier
Wednesday, Sep 30, 1868
Charleston, SC
Vol: LXVI
Issue: 21115
Page: 1

plant1.JPG

plant2.JPG

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
I actually really enjoyed reading these!
My husband works in the AG industry now so I thought it was pretty cool to see the historical reporting.

This years harvest was actually late here in the central valley due to the heat and Hubby has been working extra long hours.
I'll have to share these with him!

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
This is also a good place to discuss and argue about how farming was carried out, markets for farm products, and changes caused by altered property, labor, and tax structures.
The husband thought these were actually great ideas for discussion when I was telling him about this thread tonight (he worked late again!). I sure would like to learn more. Agriculture is very important in our community and it is a relatable subject. He is on the finance and accounting end but he works closely with operations and sales. Ignoring the comments in the papers about the negros going fishing, I would hope there would be little to argue about, and maybe others will start contributing here soon.