The famous kepi hat

Had to throw this guy in here after I came across him. I saved it because of the night cap comming out from under his Kepi, kinda like the guy in the previouse set with the one under his slouch. Looking more closely though there are several neat things in the photo. Ga. State jacket, cool moustach, but check out that canteen tin drum style with one convex side, leather strap, wood stopper on what appears to be a leather thong, and IT's COVERED! I have seen debated as to wheather or not these were ever covered well boy's there you go.... oh and uh girls:unsure:

View attachment 5473

Hey....all mom had was some checked fabric and he was leaving the next day......:smile:

Had to throw this guy in here after I came across him. I saved it because of the night cap comming out from under his Kepi, kinda like the guy in the previouse set with the one under his slouch. Looking more closely though there are several neat things in the photo. Ga. State jacket, cool moustach, but check out that canteen tin drum style with one convex side, leather strap, wood stopper on what appears to be a leather thong, and IT's COVERED! I have seen debated as to wheather or not these were ever covered well boy's there you go.... oh and uh girls:unsure:

View attachment 5473

Its not a night cap, its called a Corsican Cap, and I have seen at least three images, all Confederate and all early war. Give me till morning and I'll have more info

Its not a night cap, its called a Corsican Cap, and I have seen at least three images, all Confederate and all early war. Give me till morning and I'll have more info
So what was the point of it? Was it like a smoking cap? Or a style thing? I thought it strange them wearing their night cap like that with their normal headgear, just thought it was a way of showing the women folk back home they appreciated the night cap made for them.

not really sure.. reckon it was a style thing or a uniform thing......... didnt seem to last long. so...

Noting that all the images I have seen are of Confederate, it may have been of something of a Rebellious nature to it...

Is there a baseball expert out there? Did the baseball hat evolve from the Civil War kepi? I know they played baseball in the East before the war but I have no idea what kinda hats they were wearing way back then. After the war there are a lotta pics of baseball teams in their caps and I have always wondered if the baseball cap was a spinoff of the Civil War kepi. Somewhere at some time I saw a photo of a Civil War baseball game being played during the war. Anyone ever see that one?

Is there a baseball expert out there? Did the baseball hat evolve from the Civil War kepi? I know they played baseball in the East before the war but I have no idea what kinda hats they were wearing way back then. After the war there are a lotta pics of baseball teams in their caps and I have always wondered if the baseball cap was a spinoff of the Civil War kepi. Somewhere at some time I saw a photo of a Civil War baseball game being played during the war. Anyone ever see that one?
nah,the baseball cap came from the "Brooklyn cap" worn by the Brooklyn Excelcsiors in 1860. Here is a link to a phot of a "Brooklyn cap"

Attachments

• Short-Brim-Baseball-Cap-Spalding-Brooklyn-Style-fitted-baseball-cap-hat_1.jpg
    Short-Brim-Baseball-Cap-Spalding-Brooklyn-Style-fitted-baseball-cap-hat_1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 778
Another thought. Did the cowboy hat evolve from the broad brimmed Union hat issued to officers? There are pics of some of them with the brim bent up and looks just like a cowboy hat. The photo taken of Grant at his tent in 1864 shows this style...he has the brim slightly bent upwards. Cool pic by the way.

As for the Baseball cap, I have seen only one image of a Federal Officer wearing the cap. And yes, he was from NY. Most early paintings and pictures of town baseball teams show them wearing straw hats.

S.D.Swart

There are two......one of a game at Salisbury prison and one of the 48th NY playing at Ft. Pulaski

I did a search for Corsican cap with no luck then tried Corsican hat. This came up with several discriptions ranging from a Tri corn to a slouch and even a type of Shako. It is als attrbuted to the style of hat Napolean wore. I think those are sleeping caps worn under their normal headgear to show the loved ones at home they were appreciating them. If you have some other information on them please share, now Im looking everywhere for some other referance:banghead:LOL

Expired Image Removed

I found that after your suggestion. Still dosnt explain the darned thing or why those fellows would be wearing one under their caps like that. Arghhh so many frustraiting details. I do know that sleeping caps were popular and a recommended article of a soldiers kit in many helpfull early ware newspaper articles. Which is where my supposition of them being sleeping caps came from. Of course there was also the "Zouave fever" that infected the states just prior to the war and influenced some early uniforms so perhaps they are some sort of homage to that as they also resemble a type of Zouave headgear. Gosh I hope this does not meen we are going to start seeing fellows running around at reenactments with their sleeping caps hanging out drom under their kepis, etc. If they do I hope they are also wearing leopard skin trousers.:rofl:

There is a photo we've examined several times -- a group of soldiers sitting on a hillside. The last time we had it with an article about one of the men in the photo who recognized his dead brother. Is that sounding familiar? Anyway, there's a REALLY weird looking guy in it and I keep thinking he's wearing one as well.

Hope someone can find it and check.

I remember the one you are talking about Ill have to find it and look again. And by the way THANKS! :cry: Theres another book I must have my wife will be so thrilled :D

Back