The Failure Of The South To Convince Delaware To Secede

Old_Glory

2nd Lieutenant
"debase the institutions" In other words, weaken the institution of slavery. "Impair the interests:" weakening slavery, "weaken the power" no more slave states in the West.

Mr. Clopton singing the same tune, but Delaware didn't have enough slaves to appreciate his taste in music.
"promote and foster the interests and internal prosperity of one section"

How do you tie that back to only slavery?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Old_Glory

2nd Lieutenant
Had the State Leg. and Gov. agreed to secede, Lincoln would have sent the Union Army in to arrest the elected officials and then appointed loyal replacements. I'm sure there is a constitutional amendment somewhere that authorizes the President to replace elected State officials at his pleasure.
I think that was one of the biggest reasons Delaware stayed. They were more affraid of Lincoln then they were of Davis.

I think that was one of the biggest reasons Delaware stayed. They were more affraid of Lincoln then they were of Davis.
Not to mention those misguided individuals in positions of authority taking actions against innocent civilians in Lincoln's name. IMO, there were two civil wars. One between military forces on the battlefield and the other between Union troops and the southern civilians they encountered.

jgoodguy

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Not to mention those misguided individuals in positions of authority taking actions against innocent civilians in Lincoln's name. IMO, there were two civil wars. One between military forces on the battlefield and the other between Union troops and the southern civilians they encountered.
Really??? There was only one Civil War and the Southern Civilians were citizens of a foreign power according to their leaders.
I was unaware that those seeking to overthrow the US government were some how innocent. Something other than your opinion would be nice.

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
So can anyone show that the majority of the people of Delaware were in favor of secession? If not, then why should Delaware secede? Without Maryland seceding, I do not see the possibility of Delaware seceding. I am more than willing to listen to why Delaware should secede without Maryland seceding. Still, it would appear that without Maryland going out, Delaware would quickly be overrun by Union troops.

jgoodguy

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
So can anyone show that the majority of the people of Delaware were in favor of secession? If not, then why should Delaware secede? Without Maryland seceding, I do not see the possibility of Delaware seceding. I am more than willing to listen to why Delaware should secede without Maryland seceding. Still, it would appear that without Maryland going out, Delaware would quickly be overrun by Union troops.
Not many slaves in Delaware.

From this post by Eric Calistri in thread Slavery in Delaware

1552879437530.png

jgoodguy

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
The thing we can see from this chart is that when the percent of the population that was slaves was less than 25%, the State stayed loyal.
This line is clear cut. 25% and above all States seceded. Below 25% all States stayed loyal. Delaware was 2%. There was no way it was going to secede.

Slave Ratio.png

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
***Posted as Moderator***
This thread is intended to discuss "the failure of the South to convince Delaware to secede".
It is not intended to discuss events which occurred in the conflict that followed secession.

Please stay on topic. Off-topic posts will be edited or deleted.

Old_Glory

2nd Lieutenant
Can you post any evidence from Delaware's leadership to support this? Or is this an opinion?
I'm using Maryland as the evidence. Maryland was forced to stay in the Union by threat of military invasion and imprisoned politicians. Delaware and Maryland's decisions were linked. A fact that the Union North was well aware of I'm sure.

Read how Delaware's representatives acted during the War if you want evidence. They were infuriated with the Republicans. Most notebly Senator Willard Saulsbury; however, Senator Bayard felt the same way.

O' Be Joyful

Sergeant Major
Use-ta be: Zinn-zä-nätti o-HI-o The BIG city.
I'm using Maryland as the evidence. Maryland was forced to stay in the Union by threat of military invasion and imprisoned politicians. Delaware and Maryland's decisions were linked. A fact that the Union North was well aware of I'm sure.
Some of that Maryland evidence concerning these Myths of Lincoln and his Minions Oppression which I noted earlier, and seemingly ignored. So...

hicks001-jpg.jpg
hicksscreenshot002-jpg.jpg

hicks3-jpg.jpg
screenshot001-jpg.jpg

The second highlight notes that Maryland was invaded by troops from Virginia.

Here is the third highlighted passage:

"If the president had had forty of those men [secessionist leaders] hung, I would have voted for exonerating him from any responsibility"
-Former Md. governor Hicks, speech in U. S. Senate, February 28, 1863

source: https://msa.maryland.gov/msa/educ/exhibits/hicks/html/case3-1.html

Original thread and post.
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/did-maryland-ever-consider-remaining-neutral.147157/post-1838440

jgoodguy

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator

Read how Delaware's representatives acted during the War if you want evidence. They were infuriated with the Republicans. Most notebly Senator Willard Saulsbury; however, Senator Bayard felt the same way.
It appears to me that you are complaining about outlaws having rights that loyal citizens did not have using inaccurate assertions as evidence. Please explain.

Old_Glory

2nd Lieutenant
Are you saying Va. State Troops invading the sovereign state of Maryland previous was a myth?
Where in any part of my post did I state that? You made it seem that the Union Army did not threaten Maryland with force and that was a myth. I am asking you, did Butler use force against Maryland?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)