The excerpt below is from my GGG Grandfather Manoah Shockley. During the war he made a few notes in his Artillery Handbook. Most of it was damaged.

Virginia Dave

First Sergeant
Forum Host
April 14 I am on the coast at Newport News. I am at Newport News. I was in prison on the 14th. The 15th not well. On a flat piece of land with a high plank fence building around. It is guarded by Negroes commanded by white officers 15th 16th) In prison at Newport News 17th) ditto I am mending I was searched on the 17th 18th) I am tolerably well ? 19th) I am not well had bacon and beef for the ? 20th) to soap and quilt

[page 2] April 3, 1865 Barr's Battery left on their way to Farmville they were captured on the 6th of the same instant. After hard fight on the sixth instant. Then we were marched to Burke's station and camped. Thence from there to city passed by the way of Petersburg. We were put on the boat on the 13th of this instant.

I was captured at Harper's farm 12 miles west of Burkeville junction. I stayed near Black and White station [Blackstone, Va.] on the night of the 8th instant.

I stayed on James River in the boat on my way to Newport News on the night of the 13th.
Manoah Shockley.jpg

Thanks for sharing. He was a fine looking gentleman in old age: how old was he during the war? Can you tell us more?

Thanks for sharing. He was a fine looking gentleman in old age: how old was he during the war? Can you tell us more?
When Manoah(Noah) Shockley was born on March 15, 1823, in Grayson, Virginia, his father, John, was 30 and his mother, Phoebe, was 21. He married Jestine Beamer and they had seven children together. He then married Celestia Unknown and they had seven children together. He died on February 7, 1917, in Carroll, Virginia, at the impressive age of 93.

You are fortunate to have information that passed down from one of your ancestors that fought
during the Civil War. I would give the mint to find something like this from one of my direct
ancestors who served in the war but only a couple of them were literate at the time. I know
James P. Glenn in my signature ordered stationery while he was at Johnson's Island after his
wounding and capture at Gettysburg and Thomas Lamm became a postmaster after the war
among his other occupations. I'd love to see the thoughts they had and the day to day events
that they participated in put down on paper. I don't even have a photograph on any of my
ancestors in uniform.

It's wonderful to have that much. Careful research can fit it into a detailed story of those few weeks.

Tried a little newspaper search (with a name like his, it's much easier than for "Tom Smith"). All I come up with is that a Noah Shockley "received a sentence of two years for assault with intent to murder John White, of Milford" (Del.) in the Wilmington Evening Journal, Oct. 27, 1900.
Not him, surely, but perhaps a son or grandson(?).

I'll run the name through some other newspaper archives and see what turns up.

You are fortunate to have information that passed down from one of your ancestors that fought
during the Civil War. I would give the mint to find something like this from one of my direct
ancestors who served in the war but only a couple of them were literate at the time. I know
James P. Glenn in my signature ordered stationery while he was at Johnson's Island after his
wounding and capture at Gettysburg and Thomas Lamm became a postmaster after the war
among his other occupations. I'd love to see the thoughts they had and the day to day events
that they participated in put down on paper. I don't even have a photograph on any of my
ancestors in uniform.
So far I only have pictures without uniforms of a few. Some I cannot find pictures at all.

It's wonderful to have that much. Careful research can fit it into a detailed story of those few weeks.

Tried a little newspaper search (with a name like his, it's much easier than for "Tom Smith"). All I come up with is that a Noah Shockley "received a sentence of two years for assault with intent to murder John White, of Milford" (Del.) in the Wilmington Evening Journal, Oct. 27, 1900.
Not him, surely, but perhaps a son or grandson(?).

I'll run the name through some other newspaper archives and see what turns up.
Thank you I do have a few skeletons in my closet. Look up Floyd Allen Hillsville courthouse massacre.

Back