The Ericsson Ironclad, February 24, 1862.

Lubliner

Major
Forum Host
In Series 1, Volume 9, page 44, Major General Benjamin Huger reported to Richmond on February 24, 1862;
"The Ericsson (iron-clad) battery has arrived in the Roads, and will probably get one of our batteries to test her resisting qualities. I hear she carries two 11-inch guns."
I was under the impression the Monitor did not leave New York until March, and her arrival was on the evening of the first day's battle. What exactly was Huger reporting upon; a rumor? Thanks,
Lubliner.

Had to have been a rumor. The Monitor's initial movements went somewhat awry-- her rudder needed adjusting, and other problems-- and I think it's possible that a Northern newspaper may have reported it as her leaving for Virginia when in fact she was still in port. Perhaps Huger was reading Northern papers for intel? At any rate, it wasn't from an actual sighting of the ironclad.

Had to have been a rumor. The Monitor's initial movements went somewhat awry-- her rudder needed adjusting, and other problems-- and I think it's possible that a Northern newspaper may have reported it as her leaving for Virginia when in fact she was still in port. Perhaps Huger was reading Northern papers for intel? At any rate, it wasn't from an actual sighting of the ironclad.
I agree. All the information I have found so far reports her being launched in the East River of new York on Feb. 26th that year. I could find no retraction made by Huger or others concerning the citing; just comments made on Merrimac's progress. Thanks,
Lubliner.

Back