The Editorial That Got Him Arrested "The First Time"

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
First of all I would like to give a BIG Thanks to @1stMS-Arty for finding this for me as I have been looking awhile. I got it the day I got to Vicksburg last week and did not have the time or the computer with me to get it readable so was unable to read it to the group and I wish I had. After a few days home I finaly got the chance and Boy is it a GOOD One. In order to understand it you need to know the back story and I'll give the sort version. Col. William H McCardle was on Gen Pemberton's staff during the CW and owned the Vicksburg Times before and after the war. He witnessed first hand the atrocities committed by the Gen Ord and the USCT on the people of Vicksburg. Gen Ord kept a book entitled "Black List of unreconstructed local citizen" which was on display in the courthouse museum. (my photos had to much glare and hopefully @Seduzal or @Nathanb1 got some) In 1867 the first US elections were held after the war and if you were in this book you could not register to vote much less run for office so off WH went. If you read, it he makes perfect sense as far as electing a local negro to office and all the stuff about the carpet baggers and yankee scallywags being the ruination of the post war South. This is the first one and Gen Ord had him arrested and then released with a warning, the second one which I hope @1stMS-Arty can find is the one which landed him in jail for 9 months and having his case heard and him winning in the US Supreme Court. As you can see by reading it he PO a lot of people. As you can see I come by it by blood.

I posted it in newpaper format and the last page is the bottom of the left hand column of the 3rd page in the post.
page01.jpg
page02.jpg
page03.jpg

page04.jpg

Gotta say, he was a talented writer, I wonder if his oratory was equally impressive. I love the "drunken vagabonds" description of Congress.

But yeah, I can see why Ord got riled. After such a statement he had to lock him up.

Gotta say, he was a talented writer, I wonder if his oratory was equally impressive. I love the "drunken vagabonds" description of Congress.

But yeah, I can see why Ord got riled. After such a statement he had to lock him up.

But you are missing the big picture. After all this BS died down and the South got back to being the South, What he said came to fruition. In the words of WH "More To Follow"

Thanks for posting. I’m assuming that the Old Court House Museum does not have these on file? If not, I hope you send them copies. I think copies of your ancestor’s articles would look neat on display in the room named after him. It would also gives insight into Vicksburg post war. But the museum ought to at least have them on file!

Wow, this gave me a stunning revelation with a new meaning to the following verses;

"Can you catch Leviathan with a hook and line? Or put a noose around his tongue? Can you tie him with a rope through the nose, or pierce his jaw with a spike? Will he beg you to desist or try to flatter you with from your intentions? Will he agree to let you make him your slave for life? Can you make a pet of him like a bird, or give him to your little girls to play with?" [Job 41: 1-5].

It appears he shares a certain magic for making his point clear. Knowledge of Journalism is requisite to understanding some finer, sharper pens. But then Gator hunters already know.
Lubliner.

I’m assuming that the Old Court House Museum does not have these on file?
No they don't and @1stMS-Arty sent me a few more articles about his arrest and the one below from his second arrest. I'm going to put them all together and send them to Bubba
1572793950375.png

It appears he shares a certain magic for making his point clear
If only I had inherited that from him :cold:

Back