The dichotomy between George H. Thomas and Francis A. Shoup.

danny

Sergeant
That would be a hard dilemma. I was raised to respect all people. Robeson County is probably one of the most diverse counties in the country. Native Americans are 40 percent , Caucasians are 30 percent and African Americans are 25 percent . Hispanic Americans, Haitians and other nationalities make up the other 5 percent.
The worse spanking I received from my father resulted from joking with a 40+ Native American women while she was buying groceries in my father’s country store. He said I was not respectful to the woman. I should always respect my elders no matter what race. I am 70 now and I have always said yes or no sir regardless of age or race.
I suspect I would have been caught up in the romance and the loyalty to my buddies and followed them to enlist. It would be difficult not to do so. During Vietnam, my UNC buddies were anti war and I did not enlist in the war. Peer pressure is very difficult to overcome, especially as a young person.
I can’t think of a poorer reason to go to than attempting to preserve slavery. I will not support anything that enriches the Cartels . IMO the cartels are the modern enslavers.
Thank you for your questions.
You must have misunderstood the question. Two distinctly different issues.

What would you have done if the north prepared to invade your state?

NDR5thNY

Corporal
You must have misunderstood the question. Two distinctly different issues.

What would you have done if the north prepared to invade your state?
North Carolina faced the unenviable position of being invaded by the Union Army and the Confederate Army if she declined to succeed. I grew less than a mile from the NC / SC border. My family resided in both states. If I were alive during the Civil War, I would have had to choose between fighting my brothers in the confederate army, joining the Confederate Army or sitting out the war. I believe I would have joined the Confederate Army.

NedBaldwin

Major
That as a minority opinion. They put that on his tombstone post war. Havn’t read his book, don’t know when he said it. He was a Unionist. Many Unionist in the upper south rejected secession until Lincoln called up troops. Then most became secessionist. He was also a slave owner. Which many slave owners were Unionist.

You should study the Sectional Crisis. There were 2 distinct Sections fighting for Economic and Political dominance.
So first you say it’s a minority opinion but then it’s “many”
Your subjective opinions are noted

I’ve studies the “Sectional Crisis” plenty
I’ve even read Botts’ book