The Cumberland Gap National Historical Park (Fort McCook & Fort Lyon)

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
CUMBERLAND GAP NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK: The historic Wilderness Road that opened the state of Kentucky for early settlement passes through Cumberland Gap (Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia). During the American Civil War, control of this important entrance into Kentucky was hotly contested. Both sides constructed numerous fortifications in the area, and the Gap changed hands four times. Many of the earthworks, such as Fort McCook and Fort Lyon, can still be seen today. With 20,305 wilderness acres, this is the largest National Historical Park in the country. Pinnacle Overlook features a panoramic view of three states. Near the Pinnacle overlook is Fort Lyon, the site of the final surrender of the Gap to the Union on September 9, 1863.

* The National Park Service Map.

cumberland-gap-detail-map (2).jpg

* Entrance to the Cumberland Gap National Historical Park.

DSC_0296 (2).JPG

* Cannon at the Cumberland Gap National Historical Park's Visitor Center (Still Closed Due to Virus).

DSC_0299 (2).JPG

* A Reconstructed Homestead at the Cumberland Gap, Kentucky.

DSC_0303 (2).JPG

* Fort McCook Earthworks.

DSC_0322 (2).JPG

* NPS Historical Marker at Fort McCook.

DSC_0314 (2).JPG

* NPS Historical Marker at Fort McCook.

DSC_0317 (2).JPG

* Cannon and Earthworks at Fort McCook.

DSC_0318 (2).JPG

* Walkway to the Pinnacle Overlook.

DSC_0329 (2).JPG

* The Cumberland Gap in Kentucky, Virginia and Tennessee.

DSC_0331 (2).JPG

* The Kentucky and Virginia State Line at Fort Lyon.

DSC_0327 (2).JPG

* The Walkway to Fort Lyon.

DSC_0342 (3).JPG

* Fort Lyon Overlook and NPS Historical Marker.

DSC_0351 (3).JPG

* Fort Lyon's Cannon Emplacement (Minus Cannon) and NPS Historical Marker.

DSC_0345 (2).JPG

* NPS Sign - Cannon Missing Due to Vandalism.

DSC_0352 (2).JPG

* Fort Lyon Earthworks.

DSC_0356 (2).JPG

Last edited:
The Cumberland Gap National Historical Park has been on my ACW Bucket List since 2000. My wife and I decided to visit this NPS venue before our vacation in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I was pleasantly surprised with the tour.

Bill

20200606_115904.jpg

My wife and I were there three years ago and loved it. Actually my Facebook profile is a picture of us at Pinnacle Overlook.

B F Stevenson of the 22nd Ky is mentioned on one of the markers there but I don't have access to my pictures right now. We went there following the steps of some of my CW relatives. A great ranger had wrote a thesis paper on the Civil War at Cumberland Gap and sent me a copy of it.

My wife and I were there three years ago and loved it. Actually my Facebook profile is a picture of us at Pinnacle Overlook.

B F Stevenson of the 22nd Ky is mentioned on one of the markers there but I don't have access to my pictures right now. We went there following the steps of some of my CW relatives. A great ranger had wrote a thesis paper on the Civil War at Cumberland Gap and sent me a copy of it.

I would love to read it!!!

Bill

If you PM me your email I can forward it to you. Credit goes to Lucas Wilder, the ranger who wrote it and spoke passionately about the Civil War at Cumberland Gap. He even pinpointed where my relatives would have camped (airport at Middlesboro).

Sent and email received!

Thank you,
Bill

Last edited:
For me, yes, since I research a regiment that was involved there. It is rather small, about 10 or so placards. You can walk a loop in 30 minutes or so. It's more of a state park, so there's no visitor center or anything.
www.middlecreek.org is the web site.

If you pair it with the Mill Springs driving tour I'd say give it a shot. Maybe a stop in Lexington at Mary Todd's House or something of the like.

I have visited there many times and camped with the family twice. My relatives live close by on the KY side. Beautiful views.

Thanks for bringing back fond childhood memories as we went there 1 summer on vacation when I was young.

Last edited:
Thanks for bring back fond childhood memories as we went there 1 summer on vacation when I was young.

I would definitely take another tour through this famous gap. Next time I will walk to the Fort McCook site. We were running short on time. And hopefully the Fort Lyon cannon will be finished and placed at this site.

Bill

Wow! I thought more members would have found this NPS site interesting and off the beaten path of ACW topics. You never knows what topic (besides Gettysburg) which will float people's boat.

Bill

Back