The Crater at Vicksburg

Do you know when this particular picture was taken? Also, where would the Jackson Road be?
It was taken immediately after the siege, and to be honest, it’s hard to tell where Jackson Road is. The coonskin tower is to the left of the 3rd La Redan, so Jackson Road should be to the right. It is possible that the redan was built across the road. This is an early 1900 photo of the Jackson road cut at the Redan. It was taken before Confederate Ave was constructed.
EF0FE123-A71B-4AE0-8124-FC38E503B705.jpeg
EF0FE123-A71B-4AE0-8124-FC38E503B705.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks. In response to your previous post: The road would logically be where you described. Just hard to get bearings.

As to date of photo, I guess what confuses me is the thick, standing timber and brush in the photo. I thought that would have been cut down and used for abatis or slashing before or during the seige. I just don’t see that timber in the wartime sketches or photos that I can recall.

So I’m wondering if the photographer snapped this picture....
View attachment 295679
Then simply turned around and snapped this one?
View attachment 295681
More than likely. I think these photos are attributed to the Washington Gallery, which later had their shop on Washington Street in Vicksburg. The photographer came in with Grant, and stayed in Vicksburg. He also did many photos of Grant and many other Union Generals while they were at Vicksburg.

View attachment 295312
Looking into the 3rd La Redan from behind the CS lines.
I've seen this photo described before as taken from behind the Federal lines, the bulge at center the Hickenlooper Battery and Coonskin Tower to the left of it. It would make sense for it to have been taken from behind Confederate lines though, given the ground and the positioning of the tower.

Here is another photo showing the Great Redoubt, next to the the 3rd La redan. View attachment 295677
I remember seeing this photo labeled as taken from behind the 3rd Louisiana Redan. Is there a source that says it is the Great Redoubt or a reason you think so?

I've seen this photo described before as taken from behind the Federal lines, the bulge at center the Hickenlooper Battery and Coonskin Tower to the left of it. It would make sense for it to have been taken from behind Confederate lines though, given the ground and the positioning of the tower.

I remember seeing this photo labeled as taken from behind the 3rd Louisiana Redan. Is there a source that says it is the Great Redoubt or a reason you think so?
Not to answer for Tompre, but if the first photo is indeed taken from behind the 3rd LA, then the geography shown in the second photo matches up with the area between the two forts, or so it seems to me. The photographer in the latest photo must be standing near the Jackson Road, and down to the left somewhere must be where the surrender took place. Or so it seems to me.

If the photo had been taken from behind the Union lines, the coonskin tower would have been on the other side of the 3rd La Redan. It was too the right of the redan from the Union lines, and to the left from the Confederate lines.
The photo of the Great Redoubt was erroneously label as being Fort Hill, which is what this area was called by the Union Army.
This is one of the most confusing areas in the whole of the siege lines, as there has been a great deal of change in the landscape since the war.

Not sure how accurate this map is, but the first photo matches up with the ground and entrenchments behind and to the right the 3rd LA Redan, looking from around the Jackson Road.

1551992389030.png

1551992443263.png

89771320-3751-4961-8c32-17bf2cf6a76c-jpeg.jpg

Still unsure about the positioning of the second photo, though. Whether the 3rd LA Redan or Great Redoubt, I think it was taken from the side looking north across the BACK of the redoubt. You can see the gabioned parapet.
727061de-920b-4f7b-8f3f-88312b890f9c-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
In the photo with the tower, what are the dark square shapes or openings at regular intervals along the top of the trench at the right side of the photo? I apologize if this is an elementary question.

In the photo with the tower, what are the dark square shapes or openings at regular intervals along the top of the trench at the right side of the photo? I apologize if this is an elementary question.
I take them to be well crafted headlogs with holes cut into them through which muskets can be fired while offering protection to the soldier shooting over the parapet.

Back