The Corydon Battlefield Park

Mike, the guide / historian at the park during my visit has emailed me this, the map is only to be shared for educational purposes and I believe this qualifies.

"The attached is what David Mowery, the author of Morgan's Great Raid, sent to the Battle of Corydon Park Committee on request, with permission from map designer Hal Jespersen. We were expecting a B&W image as show I the book and were delighted with this image, for obvious reasons. The use of this map, and ay other Jespersen product, is restricted to educational purposes only. I personally use it for reference at cabin presentations and Power Point presentations.

Having spoke directly about this map dozens of times during the two days, I can't readily recall if I told you that ANY map of the battle is totally inaccurate as far as the length of the Union line of resistance depicted in the given version. I make the excuse that the goal is to depict the units engaged, but it would have been impossible for 450 men to extend a battle line early a mile long. Taking in all of the accounts, especially that of Lewis Jordan, it is clear that the battle line was less that half a mile and was placed in a U-shaped line close to the choke-point of the roads converging on the town. Where the names Rumley and Koemer appear is close to the other elements of the Legion. Jordan indicated his line near the present-day cabin was 50 yards in advance of those flanks."

Map1.jpg

Taylin,

I had the honor and pleasure to meet David Mowery and hear him speak on this topic last October in Cynthiana, Kentucky. He is an awesome human being and ACW author. I highly recommend his book! And the maps are extremely helpful if one decides to tour the JHMHT in Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio. His book on John Hunt Morgan in Ohio is a gem!

Bill

Is this statue still in place????

The John Hunt Morgan and John C. Breckinridge statues were removed from the old Fayette County Courthouse grounds in Lexington, Kentucky in 2017. Both statues were placed in the Lexington Cemetery in 2018. The Morgan statue is a bit from his family plot but the Breckinridge statue is next to his family plot.

Bill

Thought bump this thread since question about Battle of Corydon.

We lived near Corydon when we lived in Indiana. Use to go up to Corydon all the time. Had a favorite restaurant and there were many quaint shops. Went to the battlefield several times.

This is a great thread and the Battle of Corydon looks interesting. Yesterday I finished Corydon the Forgotten Battle of the Civil War by W. Fred Conway. The battle site is small but looks interesting. If COVID has slowed down perhaps I can visit nest summer. It would be a better trip is the antique shops, museums and restaurants are open.

Fun fact ,Corydon is also the hometown of Rosco Purvis Coltrane (James Best)

this was one of the first battlefields I visited . Found it on way back from my honeymoon 2 yrs ago

Back