The Corydon Battlefield Park

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
DSC_0602.JPG

The Battle of Corydon was the only official American Civil War battle in the state of Indiana. This site commemorates the Battle of Corydon which occurred on July 9th, 1863. This battle was part of Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan's "Great Raid of 1863" in the states of Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio. The Corydon Battlefield is a five-acre park located on the east side of State Route 135, just south of Corydon. The park is a heavily wooded area covered with hardwood trees, some of which date from 1863. Although the park area looks much as it did in 1863, a drive to a parking lot on the property, several historic markers, and a log cabin moved to the site in the 1930s represent changes to the historic landscape.

DSC_0697.JPG

DSC_0618.JPG

DSC_0606.JPG

DSC_0608.JPG

DSC_0611.JPG

DSC_0605.JPG

DSC_0628.JPG

DSC_0632.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been to Corydon a number of times and I can't praise the town enough, it's a very relaxing place to be. All the major business chains are located (thankfully) adjacent to I64, allowing the town to keep it's almost antique appearance. Basically, all of the eye sores are out of sight and out of mind. I was there on the 7th, and enjoyed myself well. Went to the battle park where they had a surprisingly detailed map of of the battle which unfortunately I didn't photograph and can't seem to find online at the moment.

I've been to Corydon a number of times and I can't praise the town enough, it's a very relaxing place to be. All the major business chains are located (thankfully) adjacent to I64, allowing the town to keep it's almost antique appearance. Basically, all of the eye sores are out of sight and out of mind. I was there on the 7th, and enjoyed myself well. Went to the battle park where they had a surprisingly detailed map of of the battle which unfortunately I didn't photograph and can't seem to find online at the moment.

This map?

DSC_0609.JPG

Very Nice looking park and both sides appear to be well represented. Thanks for sharing.

Oh no, they had an even on the 7-8th where some living history was taking place at the park and propped up by the cabin was a detailed map of every regiment's position Union and Confederate, with arrows depicting actions.

Okay.... There was not a detailed map at this site on my visit last year.

* Corydon Memorial to the Battle of Tippecanoe.

DSC_0626.JPG

* Indiana State Historic Marker.

DSC_0637.JPG

* Old Capital Building.

DSC_0630.JPG

* John Hunt Morgan Heritage Marker (Tour Stop - 4).

DSC_0625.JPG

thanks for the preview Bill, we've been talking about heading north of our Kentucky travels into Indiana and finally Ohio, great preview to a lengthy trip ~

You are very welcome!

I really enjoyed my travels through Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio on the John Hunt Morgan Hertitage Trails in 2017. I might be biased but I love the Ohio JHMHT tour.

Bill

Back