Miniatures The Cornfield fighting re-created in miniatures

kholland

Captain
Retired Moderator
I found this on the web and thought it was rather interesting. Here is his post and at the end is a link where there are 2 more photos of these figures.

First picture is a painting by Don Troiani entitled "Lone Star"

At the height of fierce fighting at Antietam 1862 Lee ordered Hood's Texas brigades into a corn-field where the Federal "Iron Brigade" were about to smash Stonewall Jackson's left flank. Vastly outnumbered the Texans charged into the field and stopped the Federal 1st Corps dead in their tracks. By the end of the slaughter the Texans had sustained 82% casualties which included 18 dead flag-bearers.

The following shots are "an attempt" to roughly imitate the painting by using a heavy mix of 54mm metals. Limitations of exact figure poses inhibits getting anywhere near the detail of the original. But hell it sure was a lot of fun selecting and posing the figures.

And guys as we all know that's what this hobby is all about.

Lone_Star.jpg

DSC01347.jpg

http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/forum/showthread.php?6347-The-American-Civil-War-Diaries/page141

I've collected metal toy soldiers for years. It can be very addictive ( and expensive! ) LOL
I think that set, and it's Union counterpart are $350 each.

Thanks for posting - having trouble with the link, though. Does it say what brand of figures was used?

Great stuff.kholland!I can remember epic CW struggles with hundreds and hundreds of soldiers(everyone had a set),in my neighborhood,om some weekends.We did it in driveways and carports,on rainy days.This older kid had all of his hand-painted.he was quite good at it.The big delux sets had EVERYTHING!Ambulances,scenery,fencing,etc.We got enough fencing together to build bloody lane,once,hehe.You have a great hobby!There are a few guys scattered around all the forums that do this.
On a side note.I like the painting,but one thing just bugs the livin bejeesus outta me.Everytime I see it my eye is immediatly drawn to those flags that seem to be blowing in opposite directions.
I know one guy is hit and falling,but that still cant justify it for me,hehe.
Anyway thanks for posting this piece of your art.

A couple of friends of mine can field in miniature two army corps, one north, one south. The detached garage has a few sheets of ply wood on saw horses covered with green army blankets. Buildings, fences, dirt roads, trees etc all in miniature. Shove stuff under the blankets for terrain, and the battle would rage.

Yes Sir. It was years in the making. You could crouch down with your eyes at table top level and look across the battlefield :smile:

Great stuff.kholland!I can remember epic CW struggles with hundreds and hundreds of soldiers(everyone had a set),in my neighborhood,om some weekends.We did it in driveways and carports,on rainy days.This older kid had all of his hand-painted.he was quite good at it.The big delux sets had EVERYTHING!Ambulances,scenery,fencing,etc.We got enough fencing together to build bloody lane,once,hehe.You have a great hobby!There are a few guys scattered around all the forums that do this.
On a side note.I like the painting,but one thing just bugs the livin bejeesus outta me.Everytime I see it my eye is immediatly drawn to those flags that seem to be blowing in opposite directions.
I know one guy is hit and falling,but that still cant justify it for me,hehe.
Anyway thanks for posting this piece of your art.
There's a company that bought the rights from Marx Co. and reintroduced those large plastic battle sets. They go for about $200 and up. Wish I had kept mine from when I was a kid.

Back