The Confederate Secret Service was active in Montreal during the Civil War.

drm2m

Sergeant
This book is a recent acquisition that tells a story about my city, Montreal, that I never knew.
It was published in 2017.

Montreal%20City%20of%20Secrets_zpscdy9qekr.jpg

Montreal%20City%20of%20Secrets%202_zps6ajw67hh.jpg

Save0457_zps3ndiyrnd.jpg

Save0458_zps4or60nmq.jpg

Save0459_zpsursbjeyn.jpg

Save0460_zpsh2pl7abm.jpg

Save0461_zpsfjvs4dig.jpg

Save0462_zpsuwp867yk.jpg

Interesting. Confederate spies and agents living in the lap of luxury while the men in the field are lacking food and proper equipment.
Some of what he writes is nothing new, but I smell a whiff of conspiracy theory developing in this excerpt.

In November, 1864, the eight companies of the Departmental Corps of the Department of the Monongahela, along with some companies of the Veteran Reserve Corps, were sent to Erie, Pennsylvania because of rumors of a possible Confederate invasion from Canada. I don't believe that the threat of a possible invasion was taken too seriously if the Departmental Corps was sent. (Four of the companies of the Departmental Corps were from my home county, Belmont. They were technically United States Volunteers, had uniforms, and arms but, stayed home and had to turn out for inspection once per month. The Corps was raised in response to Lee's 1863 invasion of Pennsylvania and John Hunt Morgan's raid into Ohio.)

Right on the cover page that you have shown us is the statement "When Jefferson Davis fled the U.S. in 1865, Montreal welcomed him and his family."

That is not correct and really makes me wonder about the "facts" in this book for Jefferson Davis was captured by Union troops in 1865 and held at Fort Monroe for two years though he was never tried for treason. Fort Monroe is located at Hampton, VA. Jefferson was not in Montreal with his family in 1865!!!

Right on the cover page that you have shown us is the statement "When Jefferson Davis fled the U.S. in 1865, Montreal welcomed him and his family."

That is not correct and really makes me wonder about the "facts" in this book for Jefferson Davis was captured by Union troops in 1865 and held at Fort Monroe for two years though he was never tried for treason. Fort Monroe is located at Hampton, VA. Jefferson was not in Montreal with his family in 1865!!!
I wondered about that.

Obviously, the date 1865 was a mistake when it apparently should have been 1867. This is why it is always a good reason to have someone else proof read material like this before it is published. Everything else looks like it was very well researched.

Totally fascinating. Montreal is a beautiful city. I have only been there once. I confess that, at the time, I could hardly wait to get on up to Quebec City. Oh well.....

Back