The Confederate Marine Corps: The Rebel Leathernecks.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I was thinking of purchasing The Confederate Marine Corps: The Rebel Leathernecks by Ralph W. Donnelly. Can anyone tell me if it is worth the price?

con corps.jpg

I read it after I had finished David M. Sullivan's four volume The United States Marine Corps in the Civil War set.

It's different than Sullivan's work insofar as it's closer to a collection of research information than a sustained narrative like Sullivan did with the USMC. Sullivan did do some work on the CSMC collected in The Confederate Navy: The Ships, Men and Organization, 1861-1865 (Dr. William N. Still, Jr., ed., Naval Institute Press) that makes me hope he will do a comparable book on the Confederate Corps (though I doubt it would be a four-volume work).

(Still, et. al.'s The Confederate Navy is one of those books I can't recommend strongly enough to those who are interested. It's a broad overview of practically all aspects of the CSN, done by a number of the finest authors and researchers in the field. Even where some of the research may have been superseded by more recent work, it still stands up exceedingly well.)

I
It's different than Sullivan's work insofar as it's closer to a collection of research information than a sustained narrative like Sullivan did with the USMC. Sullivan did do some work on the CSMC collected in The Confederate Navy: The Ships, Men and Organization, 1861-1865 (Dr. William N. Still, Jr., ed., Naval Institute Press) that makes me hope he will do a comparable book on the Confederate Corps (though I doubt it would be a four-volume work).

(Still, et. al.'s The Confederate Navy is one of those books I can't recommend strongly enough to those who are interested. It's a broad overview of practically all aspects of the CSN, done by a number of the finest authors and researchers in the field. Even where some of the research may have been superseded by more recent work, it still stands up exceedingly well.)
I couldn't agree more Mark.

Yes but I looked at the price of Sullivan's four volumes and I am cheep.

Sir, perhaps this is priced more to your liking - FREE!

HTHs,
USS ALASKA

Back