The Confederacy's "Treasury Girls".

How many bills were on a sheet?
I have looked for that number a couple of times and never found it. Since so many printers and so many machines were used, it may be that the number varied. One printer in Charleston and Columbia had 67 machines doing all sorts of printing, not just notes.

No. The women just signed notes.

Janet E. Kaufman in her article Working Women of the South "Treasury Girls" (Civil War Times Illustrated May 1986). "Female clerks in the Treasury Department worked as "note clippers" or "signers." I am not sure how accurate this older article is.

Interested forum members might also find Charles F. Cooney article The State of the Treasury -1864, Nothing More..Than a Whorehouse (Civil War Times Illustrated December 1982).

I would love to know the source of these names. The post says the list was "uncovered." If it is a Confederate list, when was it created? How can we be sure it is complete without knowing its source and date?a

Raphael P. Thian and his 1880 work known as Register of the Confederate Debt. Thian was assigned to the Adjutant General's Office after the war and one of his assignments was to go through all the Confederate financial records that had been captured to use anything that may be of assistance in a treason trial of Jefferson Davis and to also use the Confederate government's own records to deny false claims by some Southerners that seized cotton in the Confederate government storage facilities had belonged to them rather than the Confederate government. His 1880 book was a result of his years of dealing with records from the confederate treasury Department.

Janet E. Kaufman in her article Working Women of the South "Treasury Girls" (Civil War Times Illustrated May 1986). "Female clerks in the Treasury Department worked as "note clippers" or "signers." I am not sure how accurate this older article is.

Interested forum members might also find Charles F. Cooney article The State of the Treasury -1864, Nothing More..Than a Whorehouse (Civil War Times Illustrated December 1982).

That would be correct. The note cutters were Treasury Dept. employees but they were not the note signers. In addition to hand signing the notes, the Treasury Dept also had employees that hand numbered the Confederate notes and bonds. It's unclear if the numbering was performed by the female note signers.

I'm relying on memory but wasn't the "treasury girl" thing mentioned in Mary Chesnut's book? I was thinking it was $500.00 a Year.
Hi, yes, Mary Chesnut looked unfavorably upon the "department girls" all of whom seemed "conspicuous" in their behavior (the kiss of death among Virginia's elites for ladies of quality). Being "conspicuous" including laughing too much at gentlemen's sallies in public, showing too much favor to a suitor to whom you were not engaged, "gallivanting" of all kinds, making any kind of scene or spectacle, speaking to a gentleman in a carriage on the public street beyond a cordial greeting, riding in a carriage without a respectable chaperone, offering opinions too decidedly (especially political opinions), going riding in public with a young, unattached gentleman without a groom or chaperone, sitting in the wrong pew at church or at a theatre ("wrong" included sitting either too close or too far from a gentleman interested in you)----well, it was an endless list, really. It's amazing any department girl survived social scrutiny; I'm not sure any actually did.

Back