Sherman The Complete Memoirs of Gen. W. T. Sherman

frontrank2

Captain
Forum Host
If anyone is so inclined, they can be found online here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/4361/4361-h/4361-h.htm

PortraitSherman.jpg

I've read many memoirs by CW commanders of both sides. All are self-serving so its important to evaluate those narratives in comparison to other objective histories. Even so, reading these memoirs can often by interesting and revealing of the personal beliefs, likes and dislikes of the writer.

Two correctives to Sherman’s Memoirs.
I realize few of any will actually read these but they should be aware they exist.

From 1875 https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015002682444

and from 1994

However everyone can read this short article:

I realize few of any will actually read these but they should be aware they exist.

and from 1994

I think they are in my copy. Maybe?

and from 1994

Thank-you for this advice, especially the 1875 book. I was unaware of it and must make some time to read it. A quick glance through several parts of it have shown me it is worthy of further study as the author takes to time to check a number of the claims made by Sherman in his memoirs against official records to arrive at a more complete assessment and correct and truthful history. Very useful.

and from 1994

The author Boynton was a biased dirtball who spent the post-war years as a journalist criticizing Grant, Sherman, and the Army of the Tennessee, in order to puff up the reputation of Thomas, Rosecrans, and the Army of the Cumberland.

I think it was Boynton and Donn Piatt that Sherman referred to as "curs" or "coyotes" for their claims of being friends of Thomas after his death.

and from 1994

Here's a review of the 1875 book from a contemporary.

Charles W. Moulton, the author of the pamphlet critical of Boynton’s conclusions, was married to Sherman’s sister Frances. Probably was a bit biased.

Here’s an obituary of Boynton. I don’t see the word dirtbag in it.

Charles W. Moulton, the author of the pamphlet critical of Boynton’s conclusions, was married to Sherman’s sister Frances. Probably was a bit biased.

Here’s an obituary of Boynton. I don’t see the word dirtbag in it.
If bias disqualifies Moulton, then it disqualifies Boynton as well.

"Dirtball" was my word. Boynton cared less about historical accuracy than he did about his own personal prejudices.

Moulton's review contains numerous letters, from various participants, that back up his criticism of Boynton's book.

After Boynton’s death flags in the District of Columbia were ordered to fly at half staff for thirty days.

“The president of the board of education, Henry V. Boynton, died on June 3, 1905, and was buried at Arlington Cemetery on June 7, 1905. The Commissioners adopted memorial resolutions, ordered the flags of the District to be displayed at half-staff for thirty days, and attended the funeral at the New York Avenue Presbyterian Church“

An article on his funeral:

After Boynton’s death flags in the District of Columbia were ordered to fly at half staff for thirty days.

“The president of the board of education, Henry V. Boynton, died on June 3, 1905, and was buried at Arlington Cemetery on June 7, 1905. The Commissioners adopted memorial resolutions, ordered the flags of the District to be displayed at half-staff for thirty days, and attended the funeral at the New York Avenue Presbyterian Church“

An article on his funeral:

Should Sherman also be judged by the public reaction to his death?

Isn’t the real comparison with the public response to Moulton’s death?
Pretty good send off for a “dirtbag.”
Anyhow the real point is Sherman’s Memoirs were criticized in documented books by an esteemed and honored CW veteran and an esteemed and honored CW historian. People should be aware of that.
I think I’ve said all that I need to on the subject.

Let me make a final point: only on the Internet, not at a symposium, CW round table much less in print could someone make an insulting and unsubstantiated comment about a historical person and not be dismissed as a serious historian.
To call someone like Boynton a “dirtbag” reveals much about the person who said it.

Isn’t the real comparison with the public response to Moulton’s death?
Pretty good send off for a “dirtbag.”
Anyhow the real point is Sherman’s Memoirs were criticized in documented books by an esteemed and honored CW veteran and an esteemed and honored CW historian. People should be aware of that.
I think I’ve said all that I need to on the subject.

Let me make a final point: only on the Internet, not at a symposium, CW round table much less in print could someone make an insulting and unsubstantiated comment about a historical person and not be dismissed as a serious historian.
To call someone like Boynton a “dirtbag” reveals much about the person who said it.
I'm not sure why anyone would be taking offense at a modern negative opinion of a historical figure. Especially if the modern persons who claim to be taking offense, are also themselves preoccupied with attacking the reputations of historical figures such as as Sherman and Grant.

And again, I said "dirtball" not "dirtbag."

Boynton earned the "dirtball" appellation because he publicly tried to damage other soldiers reputations after the war in order to make his favorite generals, and his favorite army, look better.

Last edited:
Someone said something negative about Sherman and/or Grant so of course they would be 'dirtballs'. Would definitely show how bias some are towards certain historical figures. :rolleyes:
I've actually read the Boynton piece, and the resulting review from Moulton. Perhaps you should do the same and form your own opinion, rather than criticizing mine.

Back