The Colt Navy Of Confederate Gen Richard Taylor.

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
Below is the model 1851 Colt navy revelver that was carried during the CW by CS Gen. Richard (Dick) Taylor. It appears to be in great condition with just a few minor dents and dings. There was only on photo of it so I don't know what the other side looks like or what the serial # is. Gen Taylor had a very storied war record and he did have a famous Dad.
CS Gen Taylors Colt Pistol.png

1557702258880.png

Last edited:
I'd say the term "great condition" is an understatement for an arm of this age. One would think that the repeated cleanings necessary to keep a 150+ year old revolver in this condition would also rub off most of the bluing. Can it be possible that we are seeing the original finish? I am not throwing up arguments or challenges here. I am mere marveling at what I see.

Well I wasn't aware of Taylor having a gun of his survive to the 21st Century, I'd be super excited that "Hey he carried one of my favorite guns of all time!" but with its condition I think its safe to say it didn't to the much, even in holster all day, if at all.

Its too nice to have been used in the war, even if he had been as religious about cleaning his guns as some people like myself.

Then again, do we know if it was refinished at some point? The frame appears blued rather than color case-hardened, and the backstrap and triggerguard look silver plated. Also something looks funky about that barrel wedge. Missing spring perhaps.

Who knows maybe it did see some use, time for me to re-read "Destruction and Reconstruction" after I work my way down the book reading stack.

Then again, do we know if it was refinished at some point? The frame appears blued rather than color case-hardened, and the backstrap and triggerguard look silver plated. Also something looks funky about that barrel wedge. Missing spring perhaps.

Its the only photo in the LA archives and I believe the lighting makes it look better than it is, but in looking at closeups of the lone photo the blueing doesn't appear to be re-blued and I don't believe the guard and back-strap are silver plated. The wedge spring is missing, good catch.
1557707401957.png

Who knows maybe it did see some use, time for me to re-read "Destruction and Reconstruction" after I work my way down the book reading stack.
You have raised some questions which were obviously swimming in my head (See my post #3.) I also think it is most probably refinishing/reburbished--right down to the finish on the grips. I still think it's a remarkable old revolver, but it would be cool to see what it looked like before refinishing.

I once had a table at a CW expo next to Gen."Dick" Taylor's grandson. He told me many stories about his grandfather.
I told someone, "this is quite something, talking to a great-grandson of a president of the United States."

I once had a table at a CW expo next to Gen."Dick" Taylor's grandson. He told me many stories about his grandfather.
I told someone, "this is quite something, talking to a great-grandson of a president of the United States."
Funny!

I agree with you on the Taylor surname being used by several. However the name "Dick" or " Richard" were mentioned in earlier posts. How many RICHARD Taylors achieved the rank of General is another way of putting it. Oh by the way I agree the 1851 Navy has always been one of my favorites too.

Gen. Richard Taylor was the son of President Zachery Taylor. He owned a sugar plantation upriver from New Orleans. I use to drive by it every day. The plantation house was destroyed during the war.

Back