The Civil War's National Hymn Committee couldn't decide on a National Anthem

Claude Bauer

First Sergeant
Forum Host
At the beginning of the Civil War, a group called the National Hymn Committee with 13 members was formed in New York for the purpose of finding a new song suitable for a national anthem. These men comprised politicians, lawyers, business leaders, and scholars living in New York City. To the winner would go a prize of $500 and "the thanks of a grateful nation."

The committee quickly dismissed the three already well-known songs--Yankee Doodle was childish, Hail Columbia was pretentious, and The Star Spangled Banner was considered so hard to sing that it was almost useless.

So, they sponsored a contest and received 1,275 entries, described as, "four or five huge bales of patriotic hymnology.” Some entries came from as far as California and Italy.

It took them a month and a half to review the submissions with the help of an organist and choir, and they narrowed it down to 15. According to a letter the editor of the NY Times, "...it was suggested to give concerts in the New-York and Brooklyn Academics, for the purpose of submitting them for public criticism..."

Nevertheless, the committee couldn't agree on a clear winner. "...not because there were so many good options -- rather, it was because there were hardly any. On Aug. 9, 1861, the hymn committee announced that it couldn't, in all fairness, choose a winner."

Even if the Committee couldn't decide, it appears the people had a clear favorite: "George Templeton Strong overheard something remarkable in the streets of New York. Richmond had just fallen to Union forces, and crowds began to fill Wall Street near the offices of the Commercial Advertiser. According to former committee member Strong: "They sang 'Old Hundred,' the Doxology, 'John Brown,' and 'The Star-Spangled Banner,' repeating the last two lines of Key's song over and over, with a massive roar from the crowd and a unanimous wave of hats at the end of each repetition. I think I shall never lose the impression made by this rude, many-voiced chorale. It seemed a revelation of profound national feeling, underlying all our vulgarisms and corruption..."

Still, it wasn't until 70 years after the committee's formation and launch of its unsuccessful search that The Star Spangled Banner officially became the nation's National Anthem on March 3, 1931.

Sources:

Last edited:
I posted a link to this thread on my Facebook page and Jari Villanueva of Taps renown and leader of the Federal City Brass Band, noted: "American Hymn by Matthias Keller was one of the selections under consideration as our national anthem [by the Civil War's National Hymn Committee]. It remained a popular hymn and appears in many patriotic song book books up to the early part of the 20th century."

It's a nice tune. I could easily see it as a national anthem. Parts of it remind me of O Canada! especially near the end.

Here are the lyrics:

Speed our Republic, O Father on high,
Lead us in pathways of justice and right;
Rulers as well as the ruled, one and all,
Girdle with virtue, the armor of might!
Hail! three times hail to our country and flag!
Rulers as well as the rule, one and all,
Girdle with virtue, the armor of might!
Hail! three times hail to our country and flag!

Jari also provide a link to the melody, played by the Federal City Brass Band:

Last edited:
In all my research (see Haines thread) the men considered The Star Spangled Banner THE or THEIR National Anthem, without any question. Could it be that that is the image or flag they followed over the country marching and in battle for five years? Is it any wonder?

Back