The Civil War: 'Young Heroes of the Confederacy,' a perfect book for middle school students

CMWinkler

Colonel
Retired Moderator
The Civil War: 'Young Heroes of the Confederacy,' a perfect book for middle school students

| Tweet | Share | | |
button1-email.gif
| More |
Sam_Davis_22Boy_Hero_s640x480.jpg
Photo: Statue of Sam Davis, "Boy Hero of the Confederacy," stands on Tennessee's capitol grounds
Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - The Civil War by Martha M. Boltz
Martha M. Boltz
wtc-martha-_s125x120.jpg

Ask me a question.

VIENNA, Va., December 26, 2012 — Interesting books on the Civil War, which would appeal to the middle school student are few and far between. When I was sent a review copy of a good, well-written one, I snapped it up, eager to check it out. “Young Heroes of the Confederacy” by Debra West Smith is both readable and full of the real life experiences about young people from the Civil War years and yet would spark the interest of present day young people.
“Young Heroes” is well-illustrated with actual old photos of various people and places, wood cut drawings, diagrams, and maps, all put together in a concise manner to draw the reader from one historical person to the next.
Expired Image Removed
Harriet Bailey Bullock wrote about her own life.​
Among the 12 subjects Smith devotes full chapters to are the “Boy Hero of the Confederacy,” Sam Davis from Tennessee who was executed for spying; Harriet Bailey Bullock, who wrote about her life as a child on an Arkansas plantation; Charles Read, who ran away from home as a teen to join the Navy, sent home to his mother and ran away again, ending up on an ironclad; and John Hanger, who lost a leg in the early fighting and locked himself away at home until he had fabricated an artificial leg, which could bend at the knee and ankle.

For the remainder of the story go here:

http://communities.washingtontimes....war-young-heroes-confederacy-perfect-book-mi/

Back