1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

The Civil War Museum, Kenosha, Wisconsin

Discussion in 'The Civil War Traveler's Companion' started by James N., Jan 23, 2016.

1. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

I've never been there, but have done business with them online since their gift shop is a good source for the Wm. Britians line of imported English military minatures. I got most of those in this small grouping depicting greatcoat-wearing Confederates at the Battle of Fredericksburg, plus another one based on the Don Troiani painting of the charge of the Irish Brigade at the same battle.

[​IMG]

bdtex and donna like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

When my husband traveled to Milwaukee for his company we stopped at Kenosha several times. At that time they were just building this museum.

Sounds like it would be worth trying to see. We never go that way these days. He works for different company and they have nothing up that far.

Now we go to Florida where our other house is. That usually takes all the time we have for trips.

Thanks for posting these photos.

James N. likes this.
  4. BrrrBRRRR

BrrrBRRRR Sergeant

It looks like it's worth a visit. It's less than hour from my house in Chicago.

donna and bdtex like this.
  5. jackt62

jackt62 Sergeant Major

When I was there in 2011, there was reconstruction work going on at the Indianapolis obelisk, so you couldn't get inside. Guess they finished whatever they were doing.

6. Mike Serpa

Mike Serpa Captain

President Lincoln visiting General McClellan in his headquarters tent at Antietam is featured in another diorama but I'm not sure why!?

I don't know either but here is the Alexander Gardner photo in case anyone has not seen it.
    3b08681u.jpg

7. James N.

Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

I thought I'd already posted these before, but here are additional photos I took myself last July; the first is another view inside the railroad car:

049.JPG 050.JPG 051.JPG 053.JPG 052.JPG 054.JPG 055.JPG

I wonder if Grant's thinking about how he's going to get that bottle two pictures back away from that junior officer?

056.JPG 057.JPG

This tableau looks like a scene from Mercy Street:

058.JPG

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Mike Serpa, donna and bdtex like this.
  8. James N.

Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

And a few more; sorry for the poor quality, but my camera doesn't do so well indoors!

060.JPG 061.JPG

Even the Confederates are represented, though only in a small way.

063.JPG

Medical instruments and pharmaceutical supplies:

059.JPG
    064.JPG 065.JPG

The figure below is based on a wartime photograph showing a soldier demonstrating the camp punishment known as riding the wooden horse:

066.JPG

The next two photos are cases containing naval exhibits:

067.JPG 068.JPG

In addition to the regular exhibit there was a temporary one concentrating on the Iron Brigade; the diorama represents the brigade on McPherson's Ridge on the first day at Gettysburg.

069.JPG 070.JPG 071.JPG 072.JPG

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Mike Serpa, donna and bdtex like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)