The Civil War Harpers Weekly

I have used this source quite often in my ramblings and agree they are great ole issues!
Regards
David

I use to read one about Manassas a lot about the 1st Virginia Calvary story was interesting when they attacked at the Stone House and the 11th NY Militia. They would shoot threw the windows at the wounded men.

I too own a copy of that Harper's Weekly book mentioned in Lubliner's link. It's second hand , used and abused with a torn dust jacket. But it one of those books that you never finish just read and then reread.

Harper's Weekly is a great publication. It's amazing to think this is how they got their news about the Civil War, a few weeks old!

I found this centerfold on Craigslist. "Destruction of General Lee's Communication Lines". Already framed, great find.

00F0F_8MIctwkG9fx_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00F0F_ctSyw4PpO5B_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00R0R_972pBozog66_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

I have a two volume set of "Civil War Extra" that together are almost the same size as the Harper's shown in my link above. Bought both for 30 dollars, 15 each with Jacket Cover, in excellent condition but they are photocopies of the original with small print and at times white out from the proof. It takes a magnifier to read it. But the Atlas I own, purchased for 65 dollars is bigger, and I need a magnifier for it too. The Harper's is barely readable for me without some form of magnification.
Civil War Extra: A Newspaper History of the Civil War From the Collection of Eric C. Caren, Volume I: From Nat Turner to 1863, and, Volume II: From 1863 to 1865 (Set of 2 Volumes with Slipcase): Amazon.com: Books
Lubliner.

Another book to search out, is “Civil War in Pictures”, by Fletcher Pratt. This is a compilation mainly from Harper’s Weekly files, plus material from Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper. I was given this book by my mother in the early 60’s, and still have it at home. My oldest daughter bought me a second copy a few years ago, and that one is with me at my office.

I noticed that the two other sources are mostly (or all) war-related articles.
To get the whole "experience" - incluing news of the rest of the world, editorials, cartoons, delightful short stories, serializations of longer works (I saw Great Expectations scattered across a few of 1861 issues) -- not to mention the ads for everything from frontier land in Illinois to exciting new books by Charles Dickens and a new author named Loiusa May Alcott -- you can get scans of whole issues on Internet Archive.
Here is a link with the volumes sorted by year:

I will warn you, though: it's very easy to blow an entire afternoon reading these things. But I guess there are worse things to do on the Internet.

Someone has to mention them, so...don’t forget “Annals of the Civil War” or the “Battles and Leaders” series.

But, the newspaper articles are a smoother read!
You are referring to the Annals that have the Introduction by Gallagher, right? I see they also have a "New Annals of the Civil War". This one is edited by Cozzens and Girardi.
Lubliner

You are referring to the Annals that have the Introduction by Gallagher, right? I see they also have a "New Annals of the Civil War". This one is edited by Cozzens and Girardi.
Lubliner
I will have to look! My copy was a Morningside reprint purchased in the early 90s.

Harper's Weekly is a great source of information, but so many people have researched in them that most the information is now well known. I can't remember where I read the article, but I once read an article about how they were able to get illustrations in to the newspapers so quickly.

Harper's Weekly is a great source of information, but so many people have researched in them that most the information is now well known. I can't remember where I read the article, but I once read an article about how they were able to get illustrations in to the newspapers so quickly.
I have as well, using woodcuts, I believe. It was over 20 years ago.
Lubliner.

Back