The "Checkered Career" of a Civil War Bed Quilt

John Hartwell

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Autograph quilt, otherwise known as a signature quilt: a type of commemorative quilt composed of squares of a set pattern, each of which includes the name of a family member, friend, or a member of some other group. In the 19th century, the signatures were normally added in indelible ink.​
1588714053891.png

[
creativecommons.jpg
Creative Commons]

We have no idea what the quilt in question actually looked like. Its squares could have been any of a wide variety of patterns, simple or complex. They were probably the former, being the work of young girls at the North Wing District school of North Bridgewater (now the city of Brockton), Massachusetts about the year 1860. The story, as it comes to us, is entitled “A Checkered Career,” so, it may well have looked something like that pictured above.

When the quilt comes to our attention, it was already in Newport News, Virginia. Very probably it had been sent off in April, 1861, as a gift to one of the four North Bridgewater men who served in the 4th Mass. Militia, which regiment had occupied the village of Hampton during the first months of the war. Somehow, it had been lost, and fallen into rebel hands … it would change hands (and sides) a few more times during the course of the next few years.

The story appears in the Brockton Gazette, early in February, 1884:

A CHECKERED CAREER

Being that of an Autograph Massachusetts
Soldier’s Bedquilt

Among the various contributions of North Bridgewater to the soldiers during the war, was a certain bedquilt made by little girls, who, twenty-three years ago, constituted the school at North Wing, and in blocks written on that quilt in indelible ink were the names of thirty-eight or more.
Who was the first to enjoy it, and how it happened to be in the place found, is unknown. In the month of July 1862, during the seven days’ fight before Richmond, Burnside’s men were forwarded from North Carolina to Newport News, and while encamped there, a soldier of company F, of the 21st Massachusetts regiment, on the search, found on board a steamer a box, and in that box a quantity of rifles and sabers, and wrapped around them this album bedquilt. If it was, with these implements of war, on the way to give comfort to the Johnnies at that time, it reached not its destination, but was confiscated in behalf of the United States Government, and for the benefit of Charles E. Simmons, to whom it gave friendly comfort in the campaign about Cedar Mountain, and the march on Manassas.
On the afternoon of the 29th of August, General Reno, commanding a part of the 9th Army Corps, gave orders for immediate attack. So, to be less hampered, and ready for any emergency, the knapsacks of the men were unslung and piled up at the outskirts of a dense piece of woods, and a guard left with them for safety. This was the last seen of the guard and knapsacks. The quilt now was to furnish comfort to the enemy.
From the last of August in 1862, to the 13th of December, the same year, to whom this bedquilt left on the field at Bull Run ministered comfort and gave shelter is unknown. It must have passed into Maryland with Lee’s army, done duty at South Mountain and Antietam, and got back to Fredericksburg, at which place it was picked up during the battle, and fell into the hands of the original confiscator, doubly prized as a friend long lost, but now rescued after many days. This fickle but trusty companion followed still the fortunes of the 21st Massachusetts regiment in the campaign of the Army of the Ohio in Kentucky, through the conflicts at Blue Springs, Lenoir, Campbell Station and the siege of Knoxville, Tenn. It re-enlisted at Blain’s Cross-roads with its owner, but on its arrival in the city of Worcester for a furlough of thirty days, it was judged best to retire this quilt to civil life as a servant having well done.
Since its retirement from the Warpath it has been friendly in its ministrations to that soldier boy, besides two more, who, if time should come again when the sound of strife is heard in the land, would be able to vie with the daughters of those young misses of 1861, who in contributing their album bedquilt gave such comfort to a soldier and a blessing to his children.
Those knapsacks left behind “in a little grove beside the road near the Henry House Hill on the Bull Run battlefield” were encountered a couple of more times in the travels of the 21st regiment. Cpl. James Madison Stone reports that, at Antietam, his was returned to him, having been “found and identified by the man who painted the initials of my name, company, regiment and state on the side of it. He was a Company K man who was detailed in the hospital department. He found it in going over the field gathering up the wounded and burying the dead after the battle.” Again, in December 1863, a full year after Simmons’ retrieved the quilt, the 21st was engaged in the siege of Knoxville, Tenn. “The 1st South Carolina regiment, of Longstreet’s corps, … sent word over the line to the 21st Massachusetts regiment, that if they wanted their old knapsacks, they should come and get them.” [J. M. Stone, Personal Recollections of the CW , 1918]

Simmons.png

simmons2.png

[Hartford Seminary Record, 1917]
In 1887, despite his continued troubled eyesight (he had intermittent periods when he was in complete darkness, at other times he could see fairly well), Rev. Simmons was installed as Chaplain of Worcester's George Ward Post No.10, G.A..R., and served as well as Secretary of the 21st Regiment Veterans' Association. He has been cited in another CWT thread as having post-scripted a letter to Clara Barton (the 21st's 'Daughter of the Regiment'):
fmglj.jpg

Find a Grave: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/98477071/charles-edward-simmons

PS: If the moderators feel this post is more appropriately placed in another forum, please do so.

The Sanitary Commission had a shot at making a collection of a the handwritten notes pinned to some of the articles sent to them- things like quilts, socks, linen, etc. I'm not sure we understand how badly these were needed. It wasn't merely a way to engage civilians in the war, they were really, badly needed. This quilt made me think of them, too- for whatever reason I made a list, added to over time.

" The fortunate owner of these socks is secretly informed, that they are the one hundred and ninety-first pair knit for our brave boys by Mrs. Abner Bartlett, of Medford, Mass., now aged eighty-five years. January, 1861."

"This blanket was carried by Milly Aldrich, who is ninety-three years old, down hill and up hill, one and a half miles, to be given to some soldier."

" My son is in the army. Whoever is made warm by this quilt, which I have worked on for six days and almost all of six nights, let him remember his own mother's love."

"This blanket was used by a soldier in the war of 1812 ; it may keep some soldier warm in this war against traitors."

" This pillow belonged to my little boy, who died resting on it; it is a precious treasure to me, but I give it for the soldiers."

"These stockings were knit by a little girl five years old, and she is going to knit some more, for mother says it will help some poor soldier."

On a box of lint : "Made in a sick room, where the sunlight has not entered for nine years, but where God has entered, and where two sons have bade their mother good-by as they have gone out to the war."

On a bundle containing bandages : " This is a poor gift, but it is all I had. I have given my husband and my boy, and only wish I had more to give, but I haven't."

On some eye-shades : " Made by one who is blind. Oh, how I long to see the dear old flag that you are all fighting under !"

" This wine was made on the battle-field of Princeton, New Jersey, not far from where "Washington led his army on to victory. May it bear to you refreshing, invigorating, healing virtues, is the prayer of the one who made it."

From a Sanitary Commission report-

In 1812, Mrs. Mary Witmer, of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, spun a quantity of flax and wove a number of yards of linen cloth. She lived to scrape her linen into lint, in 1862.

"Friends of the Commission: It may not be uninteresting to you to know that some of the pieces of old linen left by me at your office this morning are very venerable by reason of age.

" A hundred and fifty years ago, among the Ochill hills, in Scotland, and at the open window of a farm-house of that locality, the passer-by might have seen a young, blooming lassie working merrily at her spinning-wheel, preparing for the most eventful change in the life of any one ; in short, she was spinning sheets and towels for her own future use.

" Little did that young woman dream, as she merrily drove her wheel, that her handiwork would be used in 1864 to bind up the wounds of heroic men, who stand and fight for freedom in days of danger; yet such is the case, and I thought that you might be pleased to know the fact."

From a letter written by a young soldier in the 12th Texas Cavalry to his mother in April 1864. The letter was written shortly after his regiment had been in action during the Red River Campaign in Louisiana.

"Mother Lieut Jackson has requested me to ask you if you could have him some thread spun to make him a blanket & get Mrs Lyon to weave it for him(.) if you do he waunts it a little larger than mine(.) he has got his shot all to peaces"

From the Watertown (NY) Daily Reformer, August 19,1864:
Interesting Correspondence

Antwerp, Aug. 15, 1864​
Mr Reformer,​
Last winter, while the Soldiers' Aid Society was filling a box for the Sanitary Commission, the youngMisses here made an Album Quilt, each block being the name of the donor. Two weeks since one of them received the enclosed letter from a sick soldier boy. The idea at once suggested itself to me to send it to you, and if you thought it worthy, have it published. I think it is an excellent answer to the excuse so many have made for not doing for the soldier -– that they are not sure of its ever reaching them.​
You can judge of its warm reception here by its torn condition, caused by frequent reading.​
With respect, ________​

Headquarters Army of the Potomac,
Office of the Pro. Marshal General,
July 19th, 1864.
Miss Ella ______, I can imagine with what surprise you will gaze upon this note, and perchance consider it the height of impudence. Two years today I have been with Uncle Sam, doing my little to crush this unholy rebellion. Twenty-one months in active duty on the field with my regiment, having been engaged in all the battles and skirmishes since second Bull Run fight: last three months I have been fortunate enough to have a staff appointment with Gen. Patrick, Pro. Marshal of the A. of P.​
On the night of the 1st of July, I was on duty out at the forest, and received a slight flesh wound of the right arm,from which I had to be removed to the hospital, and there remained fourteen days; whilst there I was most kindly treated by the Sanitary Commission, and my bed was graced with a quilt, on which were many mottoes and names; amongst them yours struck my fancy. Many a long tiresome day I lay with my arm bandaged up, wondering who Miss Ella could be -– where she was, and if she had any idea of what soldier boy her handywork was covering, and I determined that as soon as I could use my arm, and get back to Headquarters, to write to my Unknown, and so here tonight I am at it, whilst the rain patters on my tent, and the occasional boom of a cannon, or the rattle of musketry warns me that neither army if asleep. This is the first rain we have had since the 4th of May, and it has been most unbearable hot and dusty. What a long severe campaign our boys have had; what hard fighting they have done, and, alas, how many have gone to their long, long home;how many firesides in our beloved North tonight are draped in mourning from the loss of a father, brother, son or husband? Would to God that this may be our last campaign.​
And what good spirits our army is in; the strength and morale never was better or higher; they have all confidence in U. S. Grant, knowing that under him Richmond must fall, and the rebellion be crushed; time and the confidence of the people at home is all we want, even if the rebs do make raids and almost walk into the White House; it is their last and desperate struggle. Has Miss Ella any friends or brothers in the army? If so, I hope they may be spared to go home safe.​
One word for the Sanitary and their doings. It is the greatest institution of this war. Many thousands have been saved through its instrumentality, and without it the army could not exist. It is now furnishing fresh vegetables to the whole army, which would be an impossibility for the government to do. Its agents, both male and female, are to be seen everywhere, both in the hospitals and in the field, dressing the wounded and administering dainties that could not otherwise be obtained. God bless the ladies at home for these good works; how many have been dressed in nice, clean home-like clothes, that would have had to lay in their dirty, bloody ones, had it not been for them. I can say I know I would not have recovered so soon, had it not been for the kindness of the Sanitary Commission.​
Hoping Miss Ella will forgive me the liberty taken, and that she will honor me with an answer, dare I sign myself your friend, —--- W.H.W.​

Last edited:
Back