The Caves Of Vicksburg

I remember seeing that example of cave life at the museum. The thing I remember most was the examples of what they had to eat. No way could I believe I could survive on that little amount.
I read somewhere that it was 2 teaspoons of sugar and 3 of peas. You'd be surprised what you can do if you have to, but I without a doubt wouldn't want to have to live like that.

I previously posted this image in another thread, but I think it belongs here as well.
An 1890's photo of the entrance to one of the dug caves:
0937000041-l.jpg

http://oldcourthouse.org/photos/civil-war-tour/

I have previously posted this image in another thread, but I think it belongs here as well.
An 1890's photo of the entrance to one of the dug caves:
View attachment 65770
I read that. Those are a lot like the tunnels in Vietnam in shape, only taller. I wonder if those shells are trophies that his his pad but didn't take it out. Im surprised that those tunnels will hold that shape with the amount of air pockets in it. I guess a lot of them didn't from what I've read. It looks like this one took a few hits and kept on tickin, so he did something right.

I wonder if those shells are trophies
I also noticed those shells.

I doubt they're trophies.

To this day . . . unexploded ordnance is still being dug up around Vicksburg.

Just last year, an acquaintance of mine related a story of having to stop installation of a swimming pool in his backyard. The construction crew unearthed some unexploded shells during the first day of digging.

After much governmental red tape & drama, the National Guard eventually took care of it.

His pool was finally installed, but much smaller than originally planned.

Last edited:
I remember seeing that example of cave life at the museum. The thing I remember most was the examples of what they had to eat. No way could I believe I could survive on that little amount.
It is no joke that the citizens were reduced to eating anything edible, including rats. What do you have in your pantry that would enable you to eat normal meals for 47 days? Especially when there were 30,ooo soldiers in your midst who had no pantries?

I thought about this the other day, and wondered if caves were part of the NMP at Vicksburg. But reading the posts, I can understand why it wouldn't be, for public safety reasons. However it was a big part of what the town became during the seize so would be cool, and informative to see what they looked like, experienced during those days inside those things. Most battlefield visitors centers do a decent job or great job of showing the citizen experience of war, so it would be a good exhibit.

...70 years later, there are a gazillion trees all over the battlefield that obscure everytning. You see a battery facing a dense forest 20 yds away and have no idea what that battery was pointed at. The batteery is placed correctly, but the trees obscure everytning and you lose perspective of what you are looking at.... now the NPS is at a loss over what to do with the forest because they don't want to get erosiion started again...

Not completely - the NPS has an ongoing deforestation program at Vicksburg that has opened up many vistas between the lines that until recently were closed off as you say. This view was taken in July, 2013 and is between the Union and Confederate lines at the 3d Louisiana Redan; the Louisiana State Monument is in the background.

dsc01677-jpg.jpg

dsc01681-jpg.jpg

The ravine to the right of the recently restored Shirley House was full of caves dug by Illinois soldiers positioned there, but all have been filled in. This was the subject of a famous wartime photo.

dsc01681-jpg.jpg

The ravine to the right of the recently restored Shirley House was full of caves dug by Illinois soldiers positioned there, but all have been filled in. This was the subject of a famous wartime photo.
Just missed your post :D

Back