The Cavaliers – Lee

Kentucky Mounted Infantry! I have a few ancestors who served in the 53rd and 55th, I would be interested as well.
I am interested in the 10th KY Mounted Rifles CSA and the 1st East TN Mounted Infantry (otherwise known as the 1st TN Infantry USA) They were mounted for a year. Also other Mounted Infantry in KY and TN.

I have a question about a story once told about Robert Jr. meeting General Lee after a battle. The General, at first not recognizing his own son due to the grime and dirt from cannonading, complimented the youth, who immediately identified himself. What battle was this after? I had always heard it was Antietam, but that doesn't now fit the timeline. Thanks,
Lubliner.

I have a question about a story once told about Robert Jr. meeting General Lee after a battle. The General, at first not recognizing his own son due to the grime and dirt from cannonading, complimented the youth, who immediately identified himself. What battle was this after? I had always heard it was Antietam, but that doesn't now fit the timeline. Thanks,
Lubliner.
I have always heard Antietam as well 🤷‍♂️.

Welcome to Soldiers who fought on horseback. Great question.
“Rob” as his family called him stated that during the battle of Antietam his father “galloped” up to his gun crew (who had just withdrawn from battle because they were out of ammunition. Rob was so dirty his father did not recognize him. He asked his father if they had to go back into battle and Gen Lee said yes I am afraid so we must drive these people from the field (I am paraphrasing).
My problem with that is this.... At the battle of Second Manassas Gen Lee rode forward to confer with two of his generals (Jackson and Longstreet I think). It was after a rain storm and Stuart had just routed a large group of federal. Lee had his bulky rain gear on and was dismounted and holding Travellers raine. Traveller was spooked by a close exploding shell and dragged the General down an incline and over a stump, breaking and spraining both hands and risks.
That incident occurred just weeks before Antietam and during that battle, and because of the accident, Lee was forced to either ride in an ambulance or ride his horse being led by a staff member. He could not have “galloped” up as Rob stated.
Is that the reason you feel it doesn’t fit the time line?
In my mind something is amiss with Rob’s statement. I think it was Antietam but I think he mis spoke using the word “galloped “.
The primary reason I think it was Antietam is Rob was transferred to his brothers cavalry after Antietam and before Fredericksburg. He met his father at Orange Courthouse in the fall of ‘62 where his father gave him a $ for a new uniform, presented him with one of his swords and asked him to ride Traveller from Orange to Fredericksburg.

Welcome to Soldiers who fought on horseback. Great question.
“Rob” as his family called him stated that during the battle of Antietam his father “galloped” up to his gun crew (who had just withdrawn from battle because they were out of ammunition. Rob was so dirty his father did not recognize him. He asked his father if they had to go back into battle and Gen Lee said yes I am afraid so we must drive these people from the field (I am paraphrasing).
My problem with that is this.... At the battle of Second Manassas Gen Lee rode forward to confer with two of his generals (Jackson and Longstreet I think). It was after a rain storm and Stuart had just routed a large group of federal. Lee had his bulky rain gear on and was dismounted and holding Travellers raine. Traveller was spooked by a close exploding shell and dragged the General down an incline and over a stump, breaking and spraining both hands and risks.
That incident occurred just weeks before Antietam and during that battle, and because of the accident, Lee was forced to either ride in an ambulance or ride his horse being led by a staff member. He could not have “galloped” up as Rob stated.
Is that the reason you feel it doesn’t fit the time line?
In my mind something is amiss with Rob’s statement. I think it was Antietam but I think he mis spoke using the word “galloped “.
The primary reason I think it was Antietam is Rob was transferred to his brothers cavalry after Antietam and before Fredericksburg. He met his father at Orange Courthouse in the fall of ‘62 where his father gave him a $ for a new uniform, presented him with one of his swords and asked him to ride Traveller from Orange to Fredericksburg.
I had been thinking his enlistment with the Rockbridge Artillery was after the battle. I was mistaking his age is all about the time-line. Thanks for repeating the story. I wasn't sure when it had taken place, and was never fully informed on General Lee's injury, so that helps me a lot.
Lubliner.

I had been thinking his enlistment with the Rockbridge Artillery was after the battle. I was mistaking his age is all about the time-line. Thanks for repeating the story. I wasn't sure when it had taken place, and was never fully informed on General Lee's injury, so that helps me a lot.
Lubliner.
I’m not sure of his enlistment with the Rockbridge Artillery. I will have to research that but the story he told of a chance meeting with his father was from his book. He was with Jackson in the Valley Campaign when he first enlisted. So early ‘62 I suspect
I plan to post two maybe three more interesting equestrian related stories later this year concerning Rob and his father

Back