The Case of the South against the North

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Apparently this 1953 book is still a good reference, thanks. (i.e according to one reviewer “…Although this book is now over 50 years old, it remains a classic and well suited for any university survey course or graduate work.” - Glen Ely), so I'm gonna find a copy and read it.

But still, according to reviews, some listed here below, Craven’s description of southern nationalism -- the grievances the South had -- were primarily tied to slavery after all.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Reviews of The Growth of Southern Nationalism, 1848-1861. By Avery O. Craven. Louisiana State University Press: United States of America, 1953:

“…this is a book written in a certain time period. In spite of it's incisive academic points, there are segments of the text that appear downright insensitive, or overly emotional or sympathetic to the plight of one group or another …For a casual reader of today, however, one might be taken back at some of the dated sentiments, especially in regards to slavery.” (John McCarron)

“…The problem with Craven’s analysis is obvious: slavery was not just a symbolic political issue but a very real institution that held millions of men, women, and children in bondage in the South. And those Southern states who voluntarily left the Union and formed the Confederacy did not do so to defend an abstraction but, rather, to preserve the “peculiar institution” where it stood.” (Joseph Rzeppa)

“…Southerners knew that without additional territory and economic growth the South would fall behind the North both politically and economically. Additional slave states meant not only increased cotton production, but also more Southern representation in Congress…" (Glen Ely)

“… Cravens studied the drift to civil war, focusing on how the sectional divisions became irresolvable in the democratic process… an urge to fight inequality of opportunity and distribution of wealth that eventually became an attack on the greatest violation of democratic ideals, slavery.” (Harold Rich)
Not all of them. I suggest you not rely only on reviews and read the book.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)