The Case of the South against the North

Have people on this forum ever heard of Benjamin Franklin Grady? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_F._Grady He wrote a book titled, "The Case of the South against the North" which uses historical evidence to justify the South's war against the North on the basis of constitutional principles. I typed in his name and the word "civil war talk" on google search engine and it seems like nobody has discussed him here.

Would like any thoughtful opinions on this essay; it was posted by a libertarian who is critical of the North:

http://savingcommunities.org/docs/g...J470RYHjwbwJ-GcBaYMLWE8B_dwGm6Inf5I22pgihFU4g

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Have people on this forum ever heard of Benjamin Franklin Grady? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_F._Grady He wrote a book titled, "The Case of the South against the North" which uses historical evidence to justify the South's war against the North on the basis of constitutional principles. I typed in his name and the word "civil war talk" on google search engine and it seems like nobody has discussed him here.

Would like any thoughtful opinions on this essay; it was posted by a libertarian who is critical of the North:

http://savingcommunities.org/docs/g...J470RYHjwbwJ-GcBaYMLWE8B_dwGm6Inf5I22pgihFU4g
Great information, thanks for sharing it.

uaskme

Sergeant Major
It is a great Analysis. Best I have seen. Many here will argue the Northern Merchants Paid the Tax and that Southerners couldn’t afford to purchase imported items. Which is a Ruse. Thanks for posting. Also Lincoln states that he was a friend of Slavery where it stood as long as the South paid the Tax.

Last edited:
Dividing $84,000,000 and $16,000,000 (which are to each other as 84 per cent is to 16 per cent), we have the ratio of per capita tax $23.91 in the South and $3.75 in the North; or, in other words, the Southerner paid nearly six and one-third times as much as the Northerner towards the support of the Federal Government.
No wonder they were fed up with this.

Jimklag

Lt. Colonel
Silver Patron
To quote Winston Churchill, "There are lies, dämned lies and statistics." If you look inside those numbers, you will see the south bought far more foreign goods than the north did. If the south had bought domestic products like the north did, their import tax burden would have been considerably lower.

To quote Winston Churchill, "There are lies, dämned lies and statistics." If you look inside those numbers, you will see the south bought far more foreign goods than the north did. If the south had bought domestic products like the north did, their import tax burden would have been considerably lower.
I've seen enough documented complaints from Southerners of the era that I'm satisfied they were well aware of how much more they paid, and were not happy about it. If the solution you propose here was a genuine option for them, they could have taken it, but they didn't. I have to wonder why.

jgoodguy

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
I've seen enough documented complaints from Southerners of the era that I'm satisfied they were well aware of how much more they paid, and were not happy about it. If the solution you propose here was a genuine option for them, they could have taken it, but they didn't. I have to wonder why.
I am sure these complaints were from slaveowners. Show me anyone happy about paying taxes.

The CSA immediately passed tariffs both incoming and outgoing.

They had from the founding of the republic to 1860 to find an option, as the South had effective control of the republic. So what was it about Abraham Lincoln that incited the South to leave after threatening to do so over slavery for 80 years? I wonder???

Last edited:

jgoodguy

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Dividing $84,000,000 and $16,000,000 (which are to each other as 84 per cent is to 16 per cent), we have the ratio of per capita tax $23.91 in the South and $3.75 in the North; or, in other words, the Southerner paid nearly six and one-third times as much as the Northerner towards the support of the Federal Government.

Slaves paid taxes? Assuming Slaves were Southerners? Are poor white trash subsistence farmers Southerners. Hmmm, who bought all those goods with those tariffs???? Who had hard money to buy stuff???

Even if the figures lack any credibility, even making claims based on them seems counterproductive as the power and money in the Antebellum South were slaveholders which brings up unpleasantness.

The CSA immediately passed tariffs both incoming and outgoing.
Much lower than the Morrill Tariff passed in March 1861. Don't tell me the thought of a much lower tariff in the south didn't worry both Lincoln, who needed money to run the government, and northern business owners. They certainly did not want to compete against that.

jgoodguy

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Much lower than the Morrill Tariff passed in March 1861. Don't tell me the thought of a much lower tariff in the south didn't worry both Lincoln, who needed money to run the government, and northern business owners. They certainly did not want to compete against that.
What action did the slave owner control Southern States take in March 1861? They issued an ultimatum submission or war.

If that was really one of Lincoln's main concerns then there should be multiple records of speeches or correspondence to associates or congressmen echoing such.

If that was really one of Lincoln's main concerns then there should be multiple records of speeches or correspondence to associates or congressmen echoing such.
Lincoln mentions "revenue" prominently in his inaugural, and indeed it is in connection with this that he mentions the use of force, not with regard to the issue of slavery.

In doing this there needs to be no bloodshed or violence, and there shall be none unless it be forced upon the national authority. The power confided to me will be used to hold, occupy, and possess the property and places belonging to the Government and to collect the duties and imposts; but beyond what may be necessary for these objects, there will be no invasion, no using of force against or among the people anywhere. Where hostility to the United States in any interior locality shall be so great and universal as to prevent competent resident citizens from holding the Federal offices, there will be no attempt to force obnoxious strangers among the people for that object. While the strict legal right may exist in the Government to enforce the exercise of these offices, the attempt to do so would be so irritating and so nearly impracticable withal that I deem it better to forego for the time the uses of such offices.

On the southern side, there is the address to the slaveholding states:

And so with the Southern States, towards the Northern States, in the vital matter of taxation. They are in a minority in Congress. Their representation in Congress, is useless to protect them against unjust taxation; and they are taxed by the people of the North for their benefit, exactly as the people of Great Britain taxed our ancestors in the British parliament for their benefit. For the last forty years, the taxes laid by the Congress of the United States have been laid with a view of subserving the interests of the North. The people of the South have been taxed by duties on imports, not for revenue, but for an object inconsistent with revenue–to promote, by prohibitions, Northern interests in the productions of their mines and manufactures.

jgoodguy

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
We really need some evidence of Southern States in the Union suffering from Lincoln's oppressive legislation.