The Camp Wildcat Battlefield

It's easy to forget how these "little" skirmishes and engagements either set up a big fight or determined there would be no need for one, especially in American regions where armies were so small because built-up settlements - and the crucial supplies they would represent - were not on hand. Often the reason these places look as if you could step back 150 years is because they have been comparatively ignored (but, sadly, on the other hand the vast majority of the 10,000(!) engagement sites of this conflict have been ignored to the point of vanishing altogether under layers of development and time).

As ever, your camera work is a delight.

I concur 100%, Pat! I just visited the Middle Creek National Battlefield last month. This "Skirmish" assisted in keeping Federal control of Eastern Kentucky.

Thank you for your compliment about my photos. I really appreciate it!

Bill

* The Battle of Camp Wildcat occurred on this day in 1861.

20200626_182145.jpg

Went here many years ago- appears to be more nicely developed now.

Sadly, I glossed over it. Wasn’t “big” enough….. didn’t have the story of Shiloh, nor the casualties of Chickamauga or Gettysburg.

Failing to see the significance, I checked it off and moved on.

Older- maybe wiser? I now see the war was far more than Antietam and Vicksburg. Especially for those grieving family whose sons perished here.

Going back very soon

Thanks for bump. Had wanted to know more about Confederate Units in this battle. My great great grandfather signed up Oct. 20, 1861 at Prestonsburg, Ky. He in Co.1, 1st Batn. Ky. Cavalry. I am seeing where he could have been before he was killed at Battle of Middle Creek.

Thanks for bump. Had wanted to know more about Confederate Units in this battle. My great great grandfather signed up Oct. 20, 1861 at Prestonsburg, Ky. He in Co.1, 1st Batn. Ky. Cavalry. I am seeing where he could have been before he was killed at Battle of Middle Creek.
You know, always been curious. I’ve understood that eastern Kentucky was largely of Unionist sentiment.

But there was obviously a significant confederate presence in Floyd and Pike counties. No plantation economy- but still very real support.

Donna- does any family lore help to explain? What was the situation then? Maybe influenced by proximity to Virginia?

Just something I wonder about.

I had no information from family. I have done all the research myself. My great great grandfather born and raised in Harrison County, Kentucky. When he enlisted his wife and him had one daughter, my great grandmother and she was expecting. Son was born after he was killed. She later married and they stayed in Harrison County. They had several children, half siblings to my great grandmother.

Back