the calicoboys

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Calicoboy

Corporal
I reenact as a sargent in the 6th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. The uniform is unique, with the Hardee hat, white gaiters and the nine button frock coat. I had a great, great uncle in the 6th. I constantly strive to perfect my persona. My recent additions are a pair of glasses from 1861 and several coins from the 1850's and 60's that I carry as "pocket change". I am a Civil War story teller and I play period music on the mandolin and fiddle. In my own opinion the "Iron Brigade" was one of the best units in the Union Army. The sesesh loathed going up against them. They never budged an inch unless specifically commanded to do so. They had one of the highest rates of killed and wounded. They were the "best troops in any army in the world"..McClellan

dawna

First Sergeant
Welcome Calicoboy...I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Dawna

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
Welcome, and enjoy your stay here.

Stephen, what style of martial arts do you study? I am tempted to agree w/ the analysis of the Iron Brigade, certainly one of the best units in the AoP... though I've always been a bit impressed w/ the 1st MN as well.

I went to University in Madison... 37.5 miles surrounded by reality.

Western troops excelled, both North & South.

Calicoboy

Corporal
johan_steele said:
Welcome, and enjoy your stay here.

Stephen, what style of martial arts do you study? I am tempted to agree w/ the analysis of the Iron Brigade, certainly one of the best units in the AoP... though I've always been a bit impressed w/ the 1st MN as well.

I went to University in Madison... 37.5 miles surrounded by reality.

Western troops excelled, both North & South.

Thanks for your reply. I studied Japanese karate for thirty years. I now concentrate on Aikido and White Crane gung fu. I work out with katana and bo staff. The 1st Minnesota was, indeed, a crack unit. My hat (Hardee) off to you sir. Huzzah for the Union! Calicoboy

Calicoboy

Corporal
scone said:
Those ****ed Black hats..:smile:

As tough as they come that is for shure.. I believe i had a relative in the brigade but off the top of my head i dont recall the unit.

Welcome to board I hope you enjoy your stay.

regards,
Steven
Thanks for the warm welcome. I appreciate your friendliness, sir. Any time you want to trade some of your tobacco for some of my coffee, one of us can swim the creek:smile:

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
whooo boy... thirty years.... I pretty much gave it up after 10. Tae Kwan Do, Kuang Tau, Sambo and a smattering of other styles.

The Iron Brigade is a fascinating unit to study simply because of the punishment they took and they just kept on. 1st Div I Corps was generally a first rate unit. THe presentation of the Civil War given in the Madison Veterans museum is one of the finest IMHO... Their gift shop used to sell a repro blanket, tin plate, cup, cooler and IIRC a coffee pot. If you don't have any of these items I might suggest a visit or a call and pick them up from their as the proceeds go directly to supporting the museum. And they are of superb quality copied directly from items in the museum collection.

Take a look see at the Re-enactors forum, I would like to see your contributions there as elsewhere on the board. Hmmm what you doing the 3rd weekend of May? Take a look at the "Event in a period Mill" thread to know what I'm talking of.

Again, welcome.

sgtcsa

Cadet
Calicoboy:
May I add my welcome to you as well, sir. I hope you enjoy your stay here as much as I have. I hasten to add though, and must warn you, that I am a die hard Confederate. Even though you are from the 'wrong' side, I hope you will not hesitate to add your comments to this fine board. I am sure that it will not be long before you will feel right at home here.

SgtCSA

Calicoboy

Corporal
sgtcsa said:
Calicoboy:
May I add my welcome to you as well, sir. I hope you enjoy your stay here as much as I have. I hasten to add though, and must warn you, that I am a die hard Confederate. Even though you are from the 'wrong' side, I hope you will not hesitate to add your comments to this fine board. I am sure that it will not be long before you will feel right at home here.

SgtCSA
Sir,
You seem like a right nice fella....for a sesesh:smile: Don't get me wrong. I'm all for states' rights. If Wisconsin were to secede today, I would fight for her. Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate it. Three cheers for Marse Robert!
Calicoboy

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Calicoboy:

Scone beat me to it. Those "****ed black hat fellas." With that, we'll give a nod and a grin to the Michigan and Indiana regiments that go with it -- and to Gibbon.

I recall, to Jackson's regret, that he fired on a regiment passing to the east, near Manassas. (My memory fails at that point, something, something farm.) It was what became known as the Iron Brigade. They formed up and charged. This was not expected of Union troops at the time. Hey! They're supposed to run! Not. It was the Iron Brigade and the took no **it from anyone. That was a brigade! Hat's off and welcome to the board.
Ole

kepple

Cadet
hi

iam new my name is don iam from pa i love the civil war with all its great commanders battles and the romantic time i hope to make new friends among fellow civil war buffs

pvt gauss

Cadet
Calicoboy, compliments,
Being just across the big water from ya I say "ya Betcha-Eh" no one else out here will even know what that means. Welcome, mame.
Paul

sgtcsa

Cadet
Calicoboy,
I'm going to like you! I can see you're already 'buttering' me up! Shucks, you may make me give out a huge .....Hurrah, for Gen. Grant! That would pain me, sir, but I find you a worthy adversary already............and I suppose that's a good thing. :thumbsup: .

SgtCSA

sgtcsa

Cadet
Pvt Gauss,
I know what you mean. You betcha-eh! I live about 5 miles from the Canadian border myself, and make many forays into that wonderful country. We're up there almost as often as we're here. We live about 30 miles from Vancouver, BC.

SgtCSA

max

Corporal
Calicoboy

Let me throw in my welcome to you also, may you enjoy your time here as much as I do.

Max

Calicoboy

Corporal
sgtcsa said:
Calicoboy,
I'm going to like you! I can see you're already 'buttering' me up! Shucks, you may make me give out a huge .....Hurrah, for Gen. Grant! That would pain me, sir, but I find you a worthy adversary already............and I suppose that's a good thing. :thumbsup: .

SgtCSA
Sir,
To heck with Grant. He used good men like water. My favorite Union Generals were Gibbon (of course), John Reynolds (you guys got him at Gettysburg while the Iron Brigade was chewing up Archers brigade) and George Thomas, the "Rock of Chickamagua". I also have great regard for Nathan Bedford Forrest and Sydney Albert Johnston. Sherman was overrated and so was Hood. I can be objective at times. You got any tobacco reb?
calicoboy

Calicoboy

Corporal
pvt gauss said:
Calicoboy, compliments,
Being just across the big water from ya I say "ya Betcha-Eh" no one else out here will even know what that means. Welcome, mame.
Paul
Thank you sir. You betcha-eh indeed, and I'll add a big "inso, ja hey?". I just moved back to Wisconsin and I'm having to use the library computer until I get mine up and running. I'm settled in; but I'm still putting a 32 foot, 7 ton sailboat back together from putting her on a trailer. Hope to be seaworthy again soon

Calicoboy

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!