The Brice's Cross Roads National Battlefield (Black & White)

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
The Battle of Brice's Cross Roads was fought on this day in 1864, near Baldwyn, Mississippi. A Federal expedition from Memphis, Tennessee, of 4,800 infantry and 3,300 cavalry, under the command of Brigadier-General Samuel D. Sturgis, was defeated by a Confederate force of 3,500 cavalry under the command of Major General Nathan B. Forrest. This American Civil War battle was a victory for the Confederates. Forrest inflicted heavy casualties on the Federal force and captured more than 1,600 prisoners of war, 18 artillery pieces, and wagons loaded with supplies.

DSC_0585 (4).JPG

DSC_0588 (5).JPG

DSC_0602 (3).JPG

DSC_0613 (4).JPG

DSC_0607 (3).JPG

DSC_0606 (2).JPG

DSC_0609 (5).JPG

DSC_0611 (4).JPG

DSC_0592 (3).JPG

DSC_0593 (4).JPG

Great photos! Black and white shots give such clarity. As many times as I've been to Tupelo I've never visited Brice's Crossroads. I've got to make that a priority next time I am in Mississippi

Great photos! Black and white shots give such clarity. As many times as I've been to Tupelo I've never visited Brice's Crossroads. I've got to make that a priority next time I am in Mississippi

Thanks!

I wanted to stop by the Visitor Center in Baldwyn but it was closed due to a family emergency.

Bill

When @ucvrelics and I were doing some leg work for the upcoming Shiloh trip, we took in the Brice's Crossroads site and if I could be so bold as to suggest that before you go you become somewhat familiar with the engagement due to the fact that the battlefield is rather spread out and the signage isn't that great. When we went the main sign was laying on the ground and covered with grass.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I wanted to stop by the Visitor Center in Baldwyn but it was closed due to a family emergency.

Bill

When @ucvrelics and I were doing some leg work for the upcoming Shiloh trip, we took in the Brice's Crossroads site and if I could be so bold as to suggest that before you went you became somewhat familiar with the engagement due to the fact that the battlefield is rather spread out and the signage isn't that great. When we went the main sign was laying on the ground and covered with grass.
That was likely a problem with the visitor center being closed because they have very useful handouts describing the driving tour that takes you all the way to the site of the White House where the Federal brigade of USCT's covered the retreat. Also, a back issue of Blue & Gray featuring the lead article by Ed Bearss includes a driving tour (we didn't bother with) that follows Sturgis' flight all the way to the crossings of the flooded Hatchie River bottoms.

Last edited:
That was likely a problem with the visitor center being closed because they have very useful handouts describing the driving tour that takes you all the way to the site of the White House where the Federal brigade of USCT's covered the retreat. Also, a back issue of Blue & Gray featuring the lead article by Ed Bearss includes a driving tour (we didn't bother with) that follows Sturgis' flight all the way to the crossings of the flooded Hatchie River bottoms.

We missed the White House site. Is it far from the new Tishomingo Creek bridge complex?

Bill

Back