"The Bonnie Blue Flag," because we are a band of brothers...

Read LIVE Thursdays 8 pm CDT on Facebook. This week, "Chapter 3: Travels." Get your copy at viewbook.at/RampageontheRiver or from independent bookseller Parnassus Books at https://www.parnassusbooks.net/search/author/"Engdahl, Cody C."
What a poignant and moving rendition of this song. So easy to imagine a simple gray bearded fiddler taking out his instrument around a flickering fire and slowly, like the rendition here, playing this tune, not to rouse the passions of the troops, but to remind them of how sad it was, whatever the lyrics might be, how very sad it was that both sides, Americans all, must slay one another to settle their grievances. I hope that in that last, final bivouac, they have had the chance to sing many songs like this knowing their posterity have settled those grievances and that they are remembered and honored now and for ages to come.

What a poignant and moving rendition of this song. So easy to imagine a simple gray bearded fiddler taking out his instrument around a flickering fire and slowly, like the rendition here, playing this tune, not to rouse the passions of the troops, but to remind them of how sad it was, whatever the lyrics might be, how very sad it was that both sides, Americans all, must slay one another to settle their grievances. I hope that in that last, final bivouac, they have had the chance to sing many songs like this knowing their posterity have settled those grievances and that they are remembered and honored now and for ages to come.
Thank you. That's a very moving image you paint there. I like it.

Yeah, it's originally the "Irish Jaunting Car," but got repurposed into a Confederate anthem. The Yankees also had a version of it too called "The Bonnie Flag With the Stripes and Stars."

Today it's often called "Coleman's March." it's one of my favorite tunes to play regardless of whatever anyone wants to call it,

"Dixie" was also repurposed into a Confederate anthem, as you may be aware. http://historymatters.gmu.edu/mse/songs/model.html has a quick blurb about it, for the unfamiliar.

"Jaunty" (and variations thereof) seems to come up a lot regarding war-era songs for whatever reason.

Back