The Blues in Grey

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
The Blues in Grey
edited by Roger Durham
Monday, March 10th. We have had very good news today from Virginia. The Ironclad steamer Virginia surprised and sunk for Steamers and a tugboat. full particulars have not come to hand. some of our Scouts brought in a small boat taken from the Yankees. They were pursued but escaped. It is very warm. I am the officer of the day. The list of drafted men are published, 78 in all.

Tuesday, March 11th. I was up most of the night last night. I had non commissioned officer on duty that I could not trust as I caught them asleep at 12 and Sentinels were kept on post 1/2 hour over there time. I did not arrest them, what scared them pretty badly. It has been pouring rain all day, accompanied with thunder and lightning. It still continues.
March 12th. The Yankees came up on our picket Post in advance of us in small boats last night and they had a warm time of it for a while. volley after volley was fired on both sides. Nobody hurt with us. I don't know how the Yankees came off. Skidaway and Green Island have been abandoned. It rained all day. I heard today that another vessel had gotten in safely with a cargo of arms.
Thursday, March 13th. The steamer Savannah went down today book about. shot after shot was fired at her without doing any damage. She fired but three times in return. A Yankees steamer came up very near us this afternoon but did not stay long.
Friday, March 14th. Full particulars have been received about the Virginia affair. It was a complete success. 150 shots were fired at the Savannah yesterday and only three of them came near her. It has been very warm.
Saturday, March 15th. It has been blowing a gale all day. I got paid off today. With a hundred dollars in my pocket.
Sunday, March 16th. I took a long walk this morning to see a Yankee encampment at a distance of 2 miles. A boat stopped here on the way to Pulaski this morning. I wrote to Ned Drummond about it.
54277824_1198140443673834_1575329098627022848_n.jpg

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
The Blues in Grey
The Civil War Journal of William D. Dixon and the Republican Blues Daybook
Edited by Roger S. Durham
March 1862

Fort Jackson near Savannah
Monday 24th- It has been very cold all day. The company held a meeting tonight and elected the following officers Second Lieutenant Nichols re-elected. Sergeant Schneider, Sergeant Elkins, Sergeant Theus, Sergeant Willis, Sergeant Cornell, Corporal Barber, Corporal Meldrim Corporal McGrath, Corporal Flood. I am the officer of the day
Tuesday 25th- It has been quite warm all day. Great changes in the weather. I have felt unwell all day. A few ladies visited the post today.
Wednesday 26th- I am troubled still with a bad cold and sore throat. Steamer Firefly is running between this post and the city twice a day. An iron Ram is being built for the defense of this River. There are 600 hands to work on it.
Thursday 27th- My sore throat has left me and my cold is much better. We had an oyster supper last night which went very well. It was quite a surprise. A large party of ladies visited here this morning but did not stay long.
Friday 28- It is very warm, queer weather this. I have gotten rid of my cold. A boat left here last night for Fort Pulaski.
Sunday 30th- It has been very warm. It was as much as I could do to keep my coat on. The sand flies were very bad. Tonight there is a great change, it is very cool. The 13th Georgia Pickett captured two Yankees this morning and shot one of our men who had been a prisoner of theirs and broke his arm. the boat that went to Pulaski returned to the city last night being successful in making her trip. I took Lieutenant Anderson's place as the officer of the day, as he wanted to go to the city. It has been very lonesome all day and I have felt very dull. The captain had a meeting this morning.

55637075_1206020966219115_265970844851765248_n.jpg

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!