Stonewall The Black Flag and Jackson

Does anyone here know about the black flag I read in his book he wanted to hoist it but I never quite understood the meaning of it

Hope this helps pattyjo.

General TJ "Stonewall" Jackson is said to have recommended "the black flag" as the way to force the north to settle and to gain Southern independence. I was first introduced to this in Bevin Alexander's excellent book "How the South Could Have Won the War," and in the movie God's and Generals, General Jackson welcomes General Stuart and immediately launches into a sermon recommending "the black flag" prior to First Manassas.

Having recently studied William Quantrill and the fighting in Missouri, I am more intrigued by what kind of tactics constitutes "black flag" warfare.

I have the general impression that it is war outside the established conventions of Christian civilization that have been established for centuries. That this type of warfare involves the inverse of any type of honorable and respectable treatment of prisoners, not engaging non-combatants especially if un-armed, and other facets like that.

Please refine my understanding. I think, however, that the above stated understanding is generally correct. If that is so, and given General Jackson's obvious and profound piety, why and how could he advocate black flag warfare?

http://www.americancivilwarforum.co...n-is-said-to-have-recommended-...-120024.html

What Ole said. I have always understood it to mean "take no prisoners" as it would apply to soldiers. I'll look for the origin of the term. I personally, interpreted it as applying only to soldiers, not to civilians. However, since joining this forum I've learned a lot of what I thought I knew was incorrect..Lol

Also related to the black flag of pirate lore (Jolly Roger) that was intended to strike terror and induce submission because it warned that your choice was to surrender at the very beginning or risk annihilation. If the rules were followed (hah!) the black flag would be lowered when the target crew failed to surrender and a red flag hoisted to inform them that no quarter would be given. Late nineteenth century some anarchy groups adopted a black flag as a symbol of no allegiance to any country.

As a possible answer to how a religious man like Jackson could call for 'black flag' warfare, another religious man might be noted. Nelson was famous for fighting to annihilate his enemy and once was asked why he fought like that. "For humanity," he replied. Jackson was thinking the same way - the swifter, fiercer and bloodier the war - especially on the enemy's soil - the sooner it would be over and more lives would be saved than lost.

Back