The Black Experience in 19th Century America: a reading list

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
I think it's a good idea to create a reading list of scholarly works that can help both the novice and the professional amateur get a better understanding of life for a black man or woman in 19th Century America.

I am going to put out a few titles I often reference on the subject and would encourage others to do likewise.

Woman Slave Narratives Burton

Black Resistance Before the Civil War Cheek

What Answer Dickinson

Civil War & Living History Reenacting about People of Color Fears

Time on the Cross Fogel & Engerman

Classic Slave Narratives Gates

Forged in Battle Glatthaar

Harriet Jacobs Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Jacobs

Confederate Emancipation Levine

Celia a Slave McLaurin

Marching Toward Freedom McPherson

The Negros Civil War McPherson

In their own words Meltzer

Rehearsal for Reconstruction Rose

The Underground Railroad from Slavery to Freedom Siebert

Booker T. Washington and the Negro place in American life Spencer

The White Response to Black Emancipation Synnestvedt

African Americans in Minnesota Taylor

Like Men of War Trudeau

The Strange Career of Jim Crow Woodward

These are works I own and have on my shelf, some I reference more than others. It is a far cry from an all encompassing list.

I have several titles I cannot lay hands upon or describe properly. One details the life story of a young black man who fled SC after breaking the law by walking on the boardwalk. He left in a hurry as the Klan came looking for him. His father had been a minister who was hanged for daring to suggest black men vote. He joined the Army becoming one of the Buffalo soldier with an army career that stretched from just prior to the Spanish American War through WW1. A fascinating read... that I can't find or remember the title! The other is a superb work that follows the black experience in the American west... I lent it out and neither recall to whom or the title. The third is a journal of an idealistic Wisconsin soldier who volunteered to be first an NCO then an Officer in a USCT Regiment. His detail of their first pay call was fascinating and more than a little chilling. His proudest achievement was giving every man in his company the gift of literacy and a basic education before they were discharged. He details dealing with racism from all sides during and after the war and the book was one where you could watch him go from an idealistic young man to a hideously cynical hard man. IIRC the book was published by a sister after he died. If anyone were to know the titles or authors I would greatly appreciate it that they might be listed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back